Daily Devotion -to yourself

msbanana
msbanana Posts: 793 Member
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
I was thinking this morning (which is dangerous as I've only had one cup of coffee) about all my MFPer's out there that seem to struggle with the motivation to stay "on track" with their weight loss goals. As I fancy myself an arm chair therapist I was pondering all the reasons why someone might not have the motivation to do what's necessary to live life healthy. This of course led me to thing of all the reasons I put it off for years and years. And it boiled down to two: It's HARD and I didn't LOVE myself enough to do it. When I started this journey I chose to love myself (just) enough to feed my body the food it deserves. (I eventually got around to the exercise thing but to start it was just food).

SO I ask you... "Do you love yourself? Are you willing to put yourself first? Do you WANT this? Are you willing to OWN every moment of this journey? Are you willing to commit the rest of your life to YOU? To feeling better and living longer?" THEN DO IT.

LOVE YOURSELF!! This. I know, is easier said than done. How do you LEARN to love yourself? Do a daily devotion to yourself.
You DESERVE this.TRY IT. For those of us with esteem issues this is VERY VERY difficult but very very necessary.

After your shower, stand buck nekked infront of the mirror. WITHOUT judging or saying ANYTHING negative choose a part of you that you LOVE and say it OUT LOUD and say why. (i.e. I love my thighs they are strong and they allow me to stand tall.) If you can't find anything positive to say stand there until you can. (or pick something easy to start, eyes, hair, lips, ears whatever) And then OUT LOUD repeat a few times "I am strong, I am beautiful and I am Loved." The trick here is looking yourself in the eye when you say this and mean it.

I'll tell you the first few times I did this I stood in the mirror unable to find a single positive thing to say about my body and cried. I avoided it for a few weeks and went back and tried it again. Same result. Eventually I was able to get through the whole thing and now I do it everyday. Not because I enjoy standing buck nekked in front of the mirror but it's an exercise for my head and my soul.

We all deserve to be healthy and we all deserve to love ourselves. I love you all my MFPers YOU ARE STRONG and YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!! :smooched:

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I am doing well with eating healthy and excercising, but I feel so down on myself. I want to be a positive person, and take care of my body, but my emotions aren't quite there yet. Thank you for thinking of us struggling folks. This is advice I really need right now.
  • Amen! I'm exercising again, and I've been recording my food for 3 weeks now, drinking my water, and I have managed to GAIN 2 lbs. . .UGH!!!
  • I have lost 12 pounds! I have 18 more to go!! :happy: I have got to get my Water in which I hate :sad: Now, that I know that I am not the only one that have struggles ... I am going to keep on keeping on because I know it's for my health and skin.. Yes, I have seen a change in my skin. I didn't know that weight gain played such a major role in the way my (Skin) would look :noway: That alone is going to make me really serious about my weight loss again... :flowerforyou:
    I LOVE MYSELF SOME ME!!!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    This is great! Loving yourself is the most important thing. So many of us start this journey hoping to earn the love of ourselves (and more importantly, of the world) through weight loss. We lose our motivation because we have to love ourselves every day as we are.

WE ARE BEAUTIFUL TODAY! WE ARE WORTHY TODAY!

Charmagne
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    This is great! Loving yourself is the most important thing. So many of us start this journey hoping to earn the love of ourselves (and more importantly, of the world) through weight loss. We lose our motivation because we have to love ourselves every day as we are.

WE ARE BEAUTIFUL TODAY! WE ARE WORTHY TODAY!

Charmagne
    EXACTLY! We think losing weight will fix all our woes but it won't unless we learn to love and value ourselves at the same time!! :bigsmile:
  • Now that is motivation. Thank you msbanana....as i read this i found myself already in my head saying ok, there's nothing I like but you're right, we need to start loving ourselves in order to make changes. If we don't we'll end up where we were prior to doing something with our weights. I will start this tonight! Thanks!:smile:
  • Ahmen sister! Very well said :)
This discussion has been closed.