Where are the guys?

Options
funfang
funfang Posts: 200 Member
I am just curious, I have been taking classes in my gym and I rarely see guys in them. I have taken Arm class, ABs class, classes that Use weights and calisthenics to sculpt and shape muscles. Cardio Tai boxing, and Zumba. I see mostly women in the classes. Even the Tai boxing class I have only seen 2 or 3 guys and they never returned....Is that because men like to work out on their own? I am just curious....

Thanks for reading~~

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Because they're lifting like MEN! And I'm lifting with them. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Doing Yoga.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Are you going to Curves? That could be the problem.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    If you are working out towards the front of the class, you may just not notice the men, who, if they're smart, are at the back of the class.:happy:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    If you are working out towards the front of the class, you may just not notice the men, who, if they're smart, are at the back of the class watching girls in yoga pants jump around.:happy:

Fixed it for ya Milo.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

No gym shaming me! I want to look like a lady with curves, not like a bulky man.

kthanks.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I am just curious, I have been taking classes in my gym and I rarely see guys in them. I have taken Arm class, ABs class, classes that Use weights and calisthenics to sculpt and shape muscles. Cardio Tai boxing, and Zumba. I see mostly women in the classes. Even the Tai boxing class I have only seen 2 or 3 guys and they never returned....Is that because men like to work out on their own? I am just curious....

Thanks for reading~~

It's because there are no classes for heavy lifting, and most men like to lift heavy for the obvious benefits. Also, our metabolic capacity is much higher than a woman's, so if we are cutting or losing weight, then we can just do it by eating less instead of doing cardio classes.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    If you are working out towards the front of the class, you may just not notice the men, who, if they're smart, are at the back of the class watching girls in yoga pants jump around.:happy:

Fixed it for ya Milo.

That's literally the only reason I go to hot yoga every Tuesday
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Doing compound movements like *kitten* to grass squats, bench pressing, doing curls for the girls and trying to gain strength and muscle.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Doing Yoga.

Haha.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Because they're lifting like MEN! And I'm lifting with them. :)

^this, classes are for chicks lol.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    it's caveman science.

women are more social - we like to work together and talk while we do it. b/c we were the gatherers, so we were in the forest and not right next to each other - talking kept tabs on where everyone was and also scared off predators.

men are less social - b/c they were the hunters. little chit chat, it could scare off the prey. focus driven. but liking to be able to see each other and still help each other.

our brains were wired for this to this day. i think that's why it's so quiet in the weights section (where it is, usually more men) and it's mostly women in classes.
  • funfang
    Options
    Thanks for replying! Some of you are really funny :-)

no, I don't go to Curves, no Lucille Roberts, I think a gym is more like a gym with men work out in it, and it inspires me to work with weights ( although I am very intimidate to go the weight section)

Well, there are 2 guys always in my Zumba class and they are fabulous!
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    They have classes in gyms?

And MFP tells us that men who take classes are nasty old mysoginistic creeps
  • funfang
    Options
    [/quote]
    It's because there are no classes for heavy lifting, and most men like to lift heavy for the obvious benefits. Also, our metabolic capacity is much higher than a woman's, so if we are cutting or losing weight, then we can just do it by eating less instead of doing cardio classes.
    [/quote]

why not take the heavy weight in the class? one sure can take 20, 30lb dumbbells in arm class right?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    lol at first i thought you were a guy.

i was like, are you complaining?

you had to take a studio art at my college. it came down to music appreciation (not sure how thats a stuido art) or modern dance.

i heard that there was actually home work in the music class, so i took the dance lol

i was the only guy in the class. getting dates out of there was like shooting fish in a barrel. best decision of my life lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    why not take the heavy weight in the class? one sure can take 20, 30lb dumbbells in arm class right?

Yeah..... no.