what is better?

Options
JBcat123
JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
a person told me that lifting 5lb weights is like doing cardio. should I begin heavy lifting with a 10lb weight? also a person told me that I have to loose atelast 20lbs to begin a heavy lifting program. I don't know what to do. I really want to start lifting, but I HATE cardio. im almost 230 lbs. should I wait until I loose 20 lbs or not?

thanks!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Start now with a beginner program (Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc) and thank me in a year :flowerforyou:
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who told you that or why but that is not true. Start lifting NOW. The sooner you start lifting, the sooner you build muscle, the sooner you lose weight. Muscle burns fat so lifting is good for you. You will not get big or bulky from lifting, so don't believe it if anyone tells you that either. You can easily lose weight without cardio, so if you want to lift, then lift! Best of luck to you!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No, start lifting now. 10 lbs isn't "heavy lifting" unless it really is heavy for you. If you can pick up a toddler, you need to be lifting more than 10 lbs. Barbell training would be best for a beginner - StongLifts 5x5 is a fantastic program and you don't have to pay for some book in order to do it. All of the information can be found on this site. You start with just the bar, which is 45 lbs.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys. I just looked up the barbell on amazon, looks affordable. may get it this week! im excited about lifting!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Just a note, but if the 45lb olympic barbell is too heavy for you, StrongLifts also has some suggestions on their site for female beginners. I've avoided doing 5x5 for the last year because there are certain lifts that I know I'm not up to an empty bar on yet after recovering from an injury. I finally actually read through the site the other day and the author actually talks about his girlfriend starting with kettle balls and dumbbells for a good portion of it.