How to deal with initial disappointment?

Options
I just realized how out of shape I really am. I've always known I'm overweight, but I thought I was still relatively healthy. But then I did just a beginner's workout today: 10 mins walking, 3 sets of 8 squats, 3 sets of 8 lunges, 3 sets of 8 situps, ad 3 sets of 8 push ups. And I am just wrung completely out. How do you deal with the initial shame and sadness that you're way more out fo shape than you thought? Obviously I'm gonna work out even more and not give up, but how do I not feel so bad?

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You just need to accept that you need to start where you are, not where you wish you were. Nobody ever had much success building a house from the loft down. Ground up baby, all the way.

For the first month, perhaps set your goal as completing this routine 3 times a week, every week? That will start giving you a baseline and routine and make it easier to add on in a little while. As long as you do the routine (no matter how unfit you feel) you win :smile:
  • ChaiMagic
    ChaiMagic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I guess I was pretty ambitious hoping for 1hr 15 min workouts five days a week from the start. I'll go with 3 times a week and just focus on completing it. I just feel super gross right now, bleh.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Turn it into motivation! It WILL get easier, and it will probably happen more quickly than you think.
  • ChaiMagic
    Options
    Thanks for the support, guys. It's nice that you guys don't judge and are just super nice. You're good people. :)
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    You should feel GOOD! The fact you're worn out and can feel the burn from doing that is a sign you've already started making a change in your body. Your body is already adapting and repairing itself and getting ready for what you have planned for it. I always like it if I feel a but of a burn or pain after a workout because it means I used some muscles that I hadn't before or that I worked extra hard. It will get easier as you go. The results start to show through your skin after a while and it is like a sculpture being carved from a block of marble. Think of it that way. You're carving now. You've just begun. Good luck. It is a fun journey.
  • ChaiMagic
    Options
    Thanks! :)

I'm way more happy now. I can't wait until I start to see my thighs turn from wobble thighs to thunder thighs.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I yo-yo with my weight and every time I get back to my top weight and restart exercise I beat myself up about why I keep doing it to myself. So yes it is hard work but every week you'll feel less knackered or can push yourself a bit harder and feel slightly fitter. Just keep going. 1hr 15 mins x 5 days a week is a lot IMO. There's lots of 'research' that says short but hard workouts are more efficient than long drawn out sessions. Best of luck.