Question for those with PCOS

Options
kmash32
kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
Hi,

I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I am trying to reduce my carb intake as I know that for those of us with PCOS in can help with weight lose. I just want to know for those that eat reduced carbs for this reason do you worry about the carbs in fruit? For example if you are trying to stick to lets say 60g of carbs a day it can be hard when if you eat a cup of fruit with breakfast it has 30 carbs in it. I am just wondering how everyone does it.

Thanks

Replies

• kmash32
    Options
    Bump
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you taking metformin currently? That would give you more wiggle room in the carbs department. As for diet, the key is protein. Fruit, while better than candy or sodas, still contains a pretty good amount of sugar. For someone with PCOS/Type 2 diabetes you want limit your carb intake, and the carbs you do get should be ones with a lower glycemic index like steel cut oats, whole grains, etc. If you are having trouble getting the total down then just start by changing the sugar carbs to something that will digest slower and not cause such a spike in blood sugar.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    MFP has "groups" in addition to these message boards that you may be interested in. There are a few PCOS groups...follow the link below and type PCOS in the search box. You'll probably get more traffic on those boards from women in the same boat as you. Good luck! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups
  • Ladyfreeman89
    Ladyfreeman89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HELLO. YOU AND I ARE KINDA IN THE SAME BOAT. I HAVE PCOS ALSO BUT IM CURRENTLY TAKING METFORMIN 500 MG TWICE DAILY. AS FAR AS MY DIET...I HAVE NOT SET A FOOD DIARY YET BUT WITH THE MEDICINE I DONT HAVE MUCH OF AN APPETITE. BUT I DO KNOW THAT TOO MUCH FRUIT IN OUR CASE IS NOT GOOD BC THE SUGAR IN THE FRUIT CAN BE BAD FOR OUR INSULINE LEVELS. WE HAVE TO EAT THE SAME DIET AS A PERSON WITH DIABETES. I KNOW NO FUN RIGHT. LOL. GOOD LUCK
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but my a good friend of mine does and since I'm a medical researcher she has asked me to read through the actual literature for her.

If you have PCOS with insulin resistance, which you do, your diet should be very similar to a diabetics. Do you have a glucometer or way to test your blood sugar?

Some diabetics are ok with some kinds of fruit, possibly with various kinds of food combining. It depends on them and they're blood sugar. Maybe they can deal with an apple because it has a lot of fiber, or a banana plus some nuts.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have PCOS as well, pretty severe. I am following a ketogenic lifestyle (low carb, high fat, moderate protein) and it's the first thing that has worked for me. If you're doing just lower carb, not as strict as keto, and can fit fruit into your goal, you can have fruit in moderation (I'd stick to mostly berries if I were you as they have the least amount of sugar and carbs). Hope that helps!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nonmedicated PCOS here. I limit grains and added sugars but don't worry about fruit. I'm not trying for only 160 g of carbs though.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Have had PCOS for decades. I find that if I focus on getting my protein and fats, the carbs stay pretty low. I do try and stay with fruit lower on the glycemic index for the most part ( for instance berries).
  • kmash32
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the responses. I do generally stick to one serving of fruit a day with breakfast which is usually Berries, Apple, grapes or a banana.

I think I just generally need to be a little more strict with my eating, let myself cheat to often. I am not on metaformin because right now my insulin levels are ok, and I would prefer not yo if I can.
  • Hudsmommy
    Hudsmommy Posts: 1
    Options
    I am interested in what other people say about this as well. I have tried low calorie for months now, and I recently started low carb and within 2 days it's made a huge difference. I am wondering though, as far as I know, the only reason to be medicated for PCOS is if you are trying to get pregnant. This is actually how I was able to get pregnant with my son-low carb+metformin. Are other women still on Metformin that are not trying to conceive, and if so, what are the benefits of it?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Has your dr told you to restrict carbs or to lose weight? If your dr recommends a special diet, you should be given some guidelines, which most likely will be carbs distributed throughout the day, including fruit and vegetables. So e.g. one slice of bread with breakfast and then a banana as a midmorning snack and then a cup of pasta for lunch would be great, these things together in a single meal would not be that good. So, go back to your dr and ask for a sample meal plan. Or check here: http://diabetes.org/.
    If your insulin is ok though, most probably you just need to cut calories and add exercise in your daily routine, these two should be enough to see results and less symptoms after a while.