Favorite protein/nutrition bars?

Options
I have been expiramenting lately with my usual afternoon protein bar snack. I was eating Nature Valley protein bars everyday, but I have been getting bored and changing it up. Letely, I have been trying Luna bars and their different flavors. So far, they are awesome! Tried a Kashi Go Lean crunch bar this afternoon and it wasn't so great.

So, what is your favorite protein/nutrition bar and how many calories & grams of protein do they pack?

Thanks!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    In before everyone says Quest Bars
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I agree the quest bars are the best!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    eas bars
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, Nature Valley, Luna, and Kashi bars have 10 or fewer grams of protein per bar. I'm not sure I'd even consider it a protein bar. Also, Luna and Kashi bars have over 10 g of sugar. If you're looking for a protein bar, get a real protein bar.

I've developed a bit of an obsession with Quest bars. 160-200 calories, depending on flavor, with 20-21 g protein, about 18 g fiber, and only 4 g sugar. They're on the expensive side, but the quality of the bar is worth it. When I first started eating these, I didn't understand the hype - I thought they were gross and the texture was nearly unbearable. Then someone suggested that I microwave them for about 15 seconds. WOW! Such a huge difference. I won't eat them right out of the package, but heated up they are awesome. My favorite flavors are Double Chocolate Chunk, Apple Pie, Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Chocolate Brownie.

Every other good quality protein bar I've tried has tasted gross, and heating them up certainly doesn't help. But I haven't tried them all. I'd steer clear of Power Bars if I were you - BLECH!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I'm gonna have one, it has to be ThinkThin. Yum!
  • AdamFoureyes
    AdamFoureyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    loving the MyProtein Protein Chox bars in Cappuccino with bits of coffee beans in, i could eat them all day!
    (linky http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-chox/10847275.html )
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    CLIF Bars... and CLIF Builder's bar.. check em out...
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Premier protein is my choice. affordable and pretty darn tasty. I get mine at costco
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Chef Robert Irvine's FortiFX bars. AMAZING.
  • jaywas01
    jaywas01 Posts: 9
    Options
    Power Crunch. About 15g of protein - and good quality protein. Lots of flavors. Filling.
  • tmjdunn
    tmjdunn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If I'm gonna have one, it has to be ThinkThin. Yum!

I also really like the ThinkThin bars as well as the Pure Protein/ target knockoff Pure Protein bars. Just make sure you drink a lot of water with them. As for flavors...Think Thin I like the brownie crunch and the creamy peanut butter. With the Pure Protein I like the chocolate peanut butter and the chocolate deluxe.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars. They have lots of different flavors. Toffee Buzz is my favorite
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein - 20 grams of Protein / 200 calories / 3g sugar. Chewy Chocolate Chip is my favorite!!

I highly dislike the taste/texture of Quest Bars....:sick:

It all boils down to personal preference. If you're a texture person, you probably won't like Quest bars
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder's Bars MAX. 30 grams of protein.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Power Crunch. About 15g of protein - and good quality protein. Lots of flavors. Filling.

I like them a lot... but I wouldn't consider them filling. I'm guessing I could kill a whole box (6 bars?) in a single sitting.

I've been getting snickers marathon lately (caramel nut rush). While the macros aren't ideal, the taste, filling, and price make them my favorite bar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know the cals/protein/sugar/etc. My husband usually looks over the ingredients and macros before we buy because he is more knowledgeable about it.

Based on TASTE, I like these though:

Zone Perfect bars (favorite is Dark Chocolate Strawberry)
    Pure Protein
    Clif Z bars (meant for kids, they're a smaller lower calorie version of a Clif bar)
    Larabars (I love it when I can find the MINIS multipack with cherry pie, apple pie, and cashew cookie...great 90-100 cal snack!)
    Designer Whey

Atkins bars are okay, not my favorite but they do taste good.

Luna bars taste good but I do not like the texture.

P.S. If you have Big Lots stores in your area, you can usually pick up some of the brands named above for VERY cheap (like 1/2 the price they're sold even at Target). Watch the expiration dates, but they are NEVER expired and usually the same as other stores.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I agree the quest bars are the best!

YES! Cookies and Cream is my favorite so far but Im still taste testing them!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars! I love them. I eat them out of the wrapper because I'm lazy but microwaving them does increase the taste. They are a bit expensive but worth it. Luna bars, clif bars, special k, nutrigrain are all sugary sad excuses for protein bars. They have a bit of protein and lots of sugar. Quest bars have 20-21 grams of protein, taste amazing and have good quality ingredients. Some have artificial sweeteners but not all.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough the Giant grocery store brand of high protein low carb peanut butter bar...it's incredible. SO tasty and it doesn't spike my blood sugars.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't know the cals/protein/sugar/etc. My husband usually looks over the ingredients and macros before we buy because he is more knowledgeable about it.

Based on TASTE, I like these though:

Zone Perfect bars (favorite is Dark Chocolate Strawberry)
    Pure Protein
    Clif Z bars (meant for kids, they're a smaller lower calorie version of a Clif bar)
    Larabars (I love it when I can find the MINIS multipack with cherry pie, apple pie, and cashew cookie...great 90-100 cal snack!)
    Designer Whey

Atkins bars are okay, not my favorite but they do taste good.

Luna bars taste good but I do not like the texture.

P.S. If you have Big Lots stores in your area, you can usually pick up some of the brands named above for VERY cheap (like 1/2 the price they're sold even at Target).

I don't know how you do it. I've tried a few different flavors of Zone Perfect and Pure Protein and UCK! I can't even get through half of a bar (of either). Their cals to protein isn't that great either if I recall.