My taste buds are different

Options
Ok so I have been on this journey since February of this year. With that being said I changed my eating habits in July. I went from eating Dole pineapple chunks in heavy syrup to dole pineapple chunks in 100% juice. I have to admit when I fist made the switch everything was tasted nasty. After about a month I bought those heavy syrup pineapple chunks again....... and let me tell you they tasted disgusting.

I find myself picking up apples instead of cheetos and carrots instead of pretzels. And I can't remember the last time I have been to a fast food restaurant. Now I'm no health saint..... I still eat my chocolate chip cookies. If there is one thing I learned it is that I can still have my cookies as long as it is in moderation.

But my point of this thread was is there anyone else out there that has a change in taste buds?

Replies

• ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    YES! Things I "gave up" that I thought I would miss dearly, when I have tried them taste like crap!! (and make me feel yucky too)
    It's so nice that the "good" stuff is what tastes best now!! : )
  • IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have been on this journey since February of this year. With that being said I changed my eating habits in July. I went from eating Dole pineapple chunks in heavy syrup to dole pineapple chunks in 100% juice. I have to admit when I fist made the switch everything was tasted nasty. After about a month I bought those heavy syrup pineapple chunks again....... and let me tell you they tasted disgusting.

I find myself picking up apples instead of cheetos and carrots instead of pretzels. And I can't remember the last time I have been to a fast food restaurant. Now I'm no health saint..... I still eat my chocolate chip cookies. If there is one thing I learned it is that I can still have my cookies as long as it is in moderation.

But my point of this thread was is there anyone else out there that has a change in taste buds?

I totally get what you're saying. I switched to a vegan diet and eliminated most processed foods. It's amazing the things that used to SMELL good don't even make me hungry anymore (if anything, they make me sometimes feel sick to my stomach). I also hear you on the cookies... I still eat oreos, I just eat 3 of them (a serving) instead of a dozen!
  • IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've found myself eating/drinking things that I didn't used to like. I HATED avacado and guacamole for years. Two weeks ago I decided to try some that a friend offered cause it was too spicy for her and I had to see what I thought. YUMMO! Might have to get that more often now.

I've started putting avocado slices on my salads... add a little bit of lime juice and some fruit (try strawberries or dried cranberries/raisins) and it creates such an AWESOME flavor! I don't even need dressing on my salads anymore.
  • MadiCole
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. When I was an unhealthy eater, I craved unhealthy things. Now that I've totally transformed my kitchen to fit healthier eating habits, I crave healthy foods. When I decide I want a late night snack, I usually make a salad, whereas only a few months ago, I would have sat down with a huge bag of chips or something. And usually if I DO try to eat junk food now, I end up just putting it away. It's just not the same.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Totally, I love dark chocolate now, I actually crave my daily apple with peanut butter, can't eat pig bacon anymore (too greasy) but love my Oscar Meyer turkey bacon. I eat salads without dressing as long as they have good stuff in them (and by good stuff I mean, meat, avocados, garbanzo beans, fruit). I do still eat stuff that some folks on these boards would consider "bad" but just like you with your chocolate chip cookies (which I can't have in the house or they are in me-no self control AT ALL with cookies!) I eat it in moderation.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've found myself eating/drinking things that I didn't used to like. I HATED avacado and guacamole for years. Two weeks ago I decided to try some that a friend offered cause it was too spicy for her and I had to see what I thought. YUMMO! Might have to get that more often now.

I've started putting avocado slices on my salads... add a little bit of lime juice and some fruit (try strawberries or dried cranberries/raisins) and it creates such an AWESOME flavor! I don't even need dressing on my salads anymore.

I do this too lately! I also love avocado on my sandwiches/wraps instead of mayo! Such a great flavor and texture :)
  • mlipsey
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one. My friends come to my house and be like, "you don't have any snacks? where is all the snack food?" I just laugh and say get a apple orange. They hate that.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know about taste buds, but my stomach can hardly take eating out or eating things I used to live on anymore. I get sick if I venture out of my "bubble" these days!
  • kkochend
    Options
    I switched to a vegan diet ... I still eat oreos, I just eat 3 of them (a serving) instead of a dozen!

Are Oreos vegan??? I'll have to tell a friend of mine that if they are just to taunt him! :laugh:

Oreos are totally vegan, only wheat and soy in those babies. Check out Peta's Accidentally Vegan lists!
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I switched to a vegan diet ... I still eat oreos, I just eat 3 of them (a serving) instead of a dozen!

Are Oreos vegan??? I'll have to tell a friend of mine that if they are just to taunt him! :laugh:

There are dairy free oreo type cookies. Newman's Own makes some with mint that are delicious!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Oreos are totally vegan, only wheat and soy in those babies. Check out Peta's Accidentally Vegan lists!
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx

I think only some of them are....the original ones in the large box are, but I think the cakesters, the straws and the small snack packs are different, because they list chocolate as an ingredient (my son has a milk allergy, so I read all the labels carefully). He can eat original oreos, but none of the new ones.