Whole Foods or Trader Joes..

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
Which typically has more brands that you trust?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I don't know about trusting any brand. Of the two, I'd prefer to shop at Trader Joe's for most of my shelf supplies because it's less expensive. I will say that I can rarely trust their heating instructions; they're frequently way off for me.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    My Trader Joe's is rather small so I usually go to Whole Foods or Central Market.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    How close are these to Aldi and Walmart?
  • greenkm2289
    Options
    The whole idea of trader Joe's is to keep cost down by providing their brands, it's really trail and error and also personal preference... btw trader Joe's and aldi both started in Germany and have really interesting info on their sites, but whole foods truly is a magical wonderland and I wish I lived there!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love both stores but tend to gravitate toward TJ's. They have great produce and cheese and the pricing is lovely. That doesn't mean I don't love Whole Foods for natural face products and the like but as far as groceries, it's going to be TJ's - based on pricing. They are both excellent as far as product trustworthiness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sprouts....
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    whole foods is full of uppity wanna-be hippies.

35kg0j.jpg

plus, trader joes has tarte d'alace and cheap wine.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    How close are these to Aldi and Walmart?

WORD
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    can we define "trust"?

i have a freezer full of trader joes right now. teriyaki chicken strips, spicy chicken and broccoli, and the orange chicken pretty much round out my week. not sure why i have to trust them tho. are they about to do my taxes?
  • EvanKeel
    Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thrillist/we-made-a-sommelier-taste_b_4575710.html

CHARDONNAY
    Sommelier: "It's very pale, going on green color. I get lavender. Like, soapy lavender. It reminds me of my dad's bathtub [EDITOR'S NOTE: Weird]. This is pretty damn palatable. There's acid, there's fruit, and there some semblance of a body to it. There's certainly an element of fake oak, in the best possible way. It's as if somebody took a whole bunch of the wood chips from when playgrounds were badass."
    Score: "8."
    What is it?: "Chardonnay."

Girlfriend: "I know exactly what this smells like. A hippie. Not the kind of hippie that camps out at Phish concerts, the kind who gets acupuncture and wears crystals. Not the patchouli thing. It just smells like nature, I guess. This is the Jessica Simpson of wines. A little trashy, but you wanna like it."
    Score: "This is a 7 for me."
    What is it?: "Yep, Chardonnay."
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thrillist/we-made-a-sommelier-taste_b_4575710.html

CHARDONNAY
    Sommelier: "It's very pale, going on green color. I get lavender. Like, soapy lavender. It reminds me of my dad's bathtub [EDITOR'S NOTE: Weird]. This is pretty damn palatable. There's acid, there's fruit, and there some semblance of a body to it. There's certainly an element of fake oak, in the best possible way. It's as if somebody took a whole bunch of the wood chips from when playgrounds were badass."
    Score: "8."
    What is it?: "Chardonnay."

Girlfriend: "I know exactly what this smells like. A hippie. Not the kind of hippie that camps out at Phish concerts, the kind who gets acupuncture and wears crystals. Not the patchouli thing. It just smells like nature, I guess. This is the Jessica Simpson of wines. A little trashy, but you wanna like it."
    Score: "This is a 7 for me."
    What is it?: "Yep, Chardonnay."

brilliant! :drinker:

seems there should be more hippies at Tjs then!

and for the record, i love their shiraz and pinot g.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    whole foods is full of uppity wanna-be hippies.

This.
  • bwats33
    bwats33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    can we define "trust"?

i have a freezer full of trader joes right now. teriyaki chicken strips, spicy chicken and broccoli, and the orange chicken pretty much round out my week. not sure why i have to trust them tho. are they about to do my taxes?

I read this as if I buy something it will be of decent quality/taste and be relatively nutritional compared to the processed foods that are unavoidable at your large chain grocery stores. Agreed that 'trust' is definitely a subjective term though.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I love both stores but tend to gravitate toward TJ's. They have great produce and cheese and the pricing is lovely. That doesn't mean I don't love Whole Foods for natural face products and the like but as far as groceries, it's going to be TJ's - based on pricing. They are both excellent as far as product trustworthiness.

I do LOVE their cheese...
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    can we define "trust"?

I read this as if I buy something it will be of decent quality/taste and be relatively nutritional compared to the processed foods that are unavoidable at your large chain grocery stores. Agreed that 'trust' is definitely a subjective term though.

I think items themselves are plenty processed. They can call them JoJos all they want, but they're just knock off oreos, not that I have a problem with that. I will say that the ingredient lists for a lot of their items tend to be shorter, for whatever that's worth.
  • Hanowenho
    Hanowenho Posts: 24
    Options
    What's trader joes?!
  • greenkm2289
    Options
    I don't think I said it clearly earlier, aldi is the same company as tjs, that being said, I'm not even commenting on Wal-Mart, it's definitely a place I try to avoid bc I live in an area where ppl consider it our towns mall lol...
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods. The quality of the fresh fruits and vegetables are higher--fewer discards, almost all are firm and yummy. The quality of the frozen products is higher--most TJ's microwaved items are full of sodium or saturates fats. The selection of goods is wider--especially when it comes to meats, dairy, juices, and ready-to-eat items. I also like that Whole Foods stocks and support local and smaller companies.