Replies

• CarolynnW
    CarolynnW Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 and love it!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6. It is my first one, so I have nothing to compare it to. Using it, I feel much more in control of my numbers. I am a little higher on my strength training (and I only rest 60 seconds between set so my heart rate remains elevated) and much lower on my cardio than both MFP and the various pieces of equipment.
    I wear the watch as a day to day watch. I guess my only complaint, which is very petty, is that my model is the older model, so it has the full plastic chest strap. Every once and a while, my moobs push it down out of position and i have to hike it back up. I feel like a girl adjusting her bra strap.
    I would highly suggest everyone get one, but I the weird feeling if every one did, I would hear this weird beeping at the gym then the whole place would explode.
    I need to stop watching violent movies.
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I hve aPolar FT 7 and I love it....it is a "mid" priced one....I think it was about $100.... I'm a "spread sheet aholic" and it gives me lots of data to put in my "lifestyle" spread sheet that I keep at home... it even tells me how many minutes I spent in "fat burn mode" .... I have to HIGHLY recommend it....
  • lucielu2
    lucielu2 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i need one where to i get one and wich is best
  • LuvnAG10
    Options
    I have a Polar F6. It is my first one, so I have nothing to compare it to. Using it, I feel much more in control of my numbers. I am a little higher on my strength training (and I only rest 60 seconds between set so my heart rate remains elevated) and much lower on my cardio than both MFP and the various pieces of equipment.
    I wear the watch as a day to day watch. I guess my only complaint, which is very petty, is that my model is the older model, so it has the full plastic chest strap. Every once and a while, my moobs push it down out of position and i have to hike it back up. I feel like a girl adjusting her bra strap.
    I would highly suggest everyone get one, but I the weird feeling if every one did, I would hear this weird beeping at the gym then the whole place would explode.

LOL!!!!!
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

LMBO!!!:laugh: beep, beep, beep

I have the Timex Ironman. It is comfy and easy to use. I forget the chest strap is on most of the time. I tried the Duo (on the advice of the salesperson) and went back twice to find out haw to work different things. Too complicated for me, and I like gadgets.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT-60. It definitely motivates me to workout harder & longer.

You can read my rather lengthy review here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/92767-polar-ft60-hrm-review
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wow are they ever addicting!!!! I keep wanting to do different activities to see how much I can burn doing them (jumping jacks, running up and down my stairs, push ups etc)

Also, I was very shocked at the inaccuracy of the calories burned that machines say! Sooo glad I have my HRM now so I can track exact calories burned.

One more thing.. the amazing boost that even one minute or 30 seconds of really getting your heart rate up with a more intense exercise or faster pace/incline on a readmill - because it will take a bit to come down and you will continue to burn more as you continue your work out!

that is all - I :heart: my HRM!!!! :):):)

Lol you do realise it isn't actually measuring your calorie burn don't you!? They are just a rough estimate the same as any machine. The idea that HRM's can 'track exact calories burned' is a myth popularised in america, that thankfully has not spread accross the pond!
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I bought a Polar F6 on ebay earlier in the week. It's the plain black one. I'm reselling it for what I bought it for if anyone is interested. ($67.00) It's perfectly fine, I just bought a different one this morning with flowers on it bc i'm girly like that. If you're interested let me know asap, otherwise I'm relisting it on ebay.

http://tinyurl.com/26blyhr
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Does everyone just wear the HRM's when they work out or can they work like a BodyBugg and where it all day? How are the results for the people that have tried wearing them all day long?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options

This was extremely helpful. Thank you!!
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have a Sportline HRM from Walmart, it was $27.00 dollars. Best money I ever spent. I wore it to my dr.s to make sure they got the same reading as my watch did when I had a checkup so that made me feel better about it's accuracy. I love it and def would recommend it :happy:
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Azdak, you're always so helpful! As with anything in this world... take everything with a grain of salt...
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a Polar FT40 Heart Rate Monitor??? I was thinking of getting this one? xx

Hi Noble...I have the Polar FT40 HRM and I LOVE it! The transmittor is very comfortable too. I'm very happy with mine. Good luck!
  • rgfor40
    rgfor40 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the Sportline Solo with Anytouch technology. it does way more than i want or need at this point. It can be kind of a paint with all the lap counters and beeps but once I got it set for what i wanted it's great.
    the question i have for you (all) is what do you so about the difference in calories burned from any machine at the gym?
    today for instance, my HRM said in 15 minutes i burned 340 calories while the machine i was on said 260.
    thats a huge difference. for tracking purposes i always enter a lower number than my HRM says anyway. i figure if i
    'bank" an extra 30-40 calories a day and not know thats good right?
    One more thing, my protien shakes are 200 calories per, i feel like that's actually using up my caloies for the day faster than if i actually ate a healthy meal...thoughts?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have the Sportline Solo with Anytouch technology. it does way more than i want or need at this point. It can be kind of a paint with all the lap counters and beeps but once I got it set for what i wanted it's great.
    the question i have for you (all) is what do you so about the difference in calories burned from any machine at the gym?
    today for instance, my HRM said in 15 minutes i burned 340 calories while the machine i was on said 260.
    thats a huge difference. for tracking purposes i always enter a lower number than my HRM says anyway. i figure if i
    'bank" an extra 30-40 calories a day and not know thats good right?
    One more thing, my protien shakes are 200 calories per, i feel like that's actually using up my caloies for the day faster than if i actually ate a healthy meal...thoughts?

Two thoughts: 340 calories in 15 min is over 1300 per hour. That is very difficult to achieve. Quite frankly, ever the 260 is probably a little high. I have been tested and, at 200lbs, I have to run at about 8 mph to burn 1000 cals/hr.

Protein shakes: you bring up a good point. A protein shake or bar needs to be looked at as a meal or a meal component, not a throwaway snack. I always look at not just the protein amount, but also the total food/satisfaction component as well. It's not that difficult to put together a 25g-30g protein meal under 400 calories that has a lot more flavor, fiber, trace nutrients, and, for me, eating satisfaction that a shake or protein bar.

Not saying bars and shakes don't serve a useful purpose--like you said, just something to think about. I go back and forth on the subject. Sometimes I like having bars around, especially at work on Sundays when I am there by myself for 12 hrs and don't pack enough food. A nice low-sugar protein bar beats ANYTHING out the the vending machine. But, if I make them a regular part of my eating routine, they get me down after a couple of weeks.
  • rgfor40
    rgfor40 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Azdak,
    Thank you for your response. i agree those number seems kind of high but i don't know what i am doing to trick both the gym machine and the HRM to give me those numbers. :)
    I get the same results from the same type of machine at 3 different gyms, and on 2 or 3 differe machines at each gym.
    i enter my weight, age and typicaly set the incline and resistance the same on every machine.