Sodium levels

ahempler
ahempler Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I am trying to track carb, protein, fat, fiber and sodium. I am doing fine with everything but my sodium levels always seem to be through the roof. Myfitnesspal has set me to 2500 not sure what measurement. But as soon as I eat some pork or pasta it blows my budget out of the water.

Anyone know what the healthy level of sodium is for a 2000 calorie diet?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I am trying to track carb, protein, fat, fiber and sodium. I am doing fine with everything but my sodium levels always seem to be through the roof. Myfitnesspal has set me to 2500 not sure what measurement. But as soon as I eat some pork or pasta it blows my budget out of the water.

Anyone know what the healthy level of sodium is for a 2000 calorie diet?

A healthy amount of sodium is 2400-2500 mg of sodium per day, regardless of your calorie intake. I am always significantly under on my sodium - feel free to look at my diary if you want some ideas, although I typically stay around 1500 calories.
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    My wife and I were talking about this today. We eat all low-sodium foods, and I'm still consistently 1,000 over every day. The #1 culprit is prepackaged food, especially canned soups, etc.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Just try and find more low sodium foods and don't eat too many in one day. I am usually under my sodium level, but today I am over it because it's just a day I am eating more foods with sodium--oh well. Once in a while won't hurt.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    I tend to go over with sodium, too. I think it's from using canned veggies and frozen foods. I try to stay away from that stuff, but I live in a rural area (25 miles to the nearest grocery store) so I tend to stick with pantry and freezer stuff. But I do get a veggie box from a local farmer, so that helps!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    The latest recommendation in the US is 2300 mg per day maximum. If your blood pressure or heart disease is an issue for you, then you want to be at 1500 mg per day, though, because sodium increases blood pressure which in turn increases heart disease and stroke risk. The easiest way to get lower is to look at the milligrams of sodium in the nutrition label. If it is more then the calories, don't eat that food. Processed foods are all pretty high in sodium, but processed meats are the worst! If you have a butcher shop, check to see if they have your pork that isn't cured in salt to help lower the sodium of the meat you like to eat. You can also make your own pasta if you like playing in the kitchen to cut sodium from it. Personally, I have to do some form of processed stuff daily because of my schedule, so I try to look at the mg of sodium and balance it out so that if I eat something high sodium, then the rest of my foods are low sodium or no sodium (like fresh fruits and veggies). That doesn't always work for people on the go constantly, so unless it is a problem for you, watch it but don't stress it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I tend to go over with sodium, too. I think it's from using canned veggies and frozen foods. I try to stay away from that stuff, but I live in a rural area (25 miles to the nearest grocery store) so I tend to stick with pantry and freezer stuff. But I do get a veggie box from a local farmer, so that helps!

I live in the middle of no where too, so I know what you mean. Frozen veggies are typically low in sodium though, so I've switched to them from the canned to cut sodium for my DH who has high blood pressure. I actually seem to get twice as much for the same price that way too. Bonus!
  • I'm always under on my sodium, but just barely so. I don't eat canned veggies at all, only fresh or frozen. I eat a lot of fresh fruit as well. Like others have said, processed food and fast food are the worst.
  • lindabuckiewicz
    lindabuckiewicz Posts: 15 Member
    Stay away from processed foods; Also pickles, though low in calories, are loaded with sodium. Canned foods also.
  • I'm always under on my sodium, but just barely so. I don't eat canned veggies at all, only fresh or frozen. I eat a lot of fresh fruit as well. Like others have said, processed food and fast food are the worst.

Of course I post this and then add my dinner and I went over today lol. By 91.

Stupid pudding.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Here's the thing about salt/sodium. It makes food taste better.

So, if you're eating lots of cheap pre-packaged food, the manufacturer has a vested interest in you thinking it tastes good, even though it is cheap, poor quality ingredients. Adding lots of sodium increases the tastiness, as does MSG, which is another thing you want to avoid.

If you can avoid canned items as much as possible, and other prepackaged things you will be halfway there to being low sodium. If you want to use canned beans (which fyi - dry beans are cheaper, and you just soak them before cooking) then make sure you drain the liquid off them and rinse them first, that will get rid of a lot of the sodium, but not all. That goes for a few other canned items as well :)

You may want to find the half salt half potassium mixture that is sold in grocery stores for using at home. That way you can still add it to recipes, but instead of just getting more sodium, you are also getting more potassium, which counters sodium in your body.
This discussion has been closed.