App to help track workouts (biking/jogging mainly)

Options
I am starting to add biking to my workouts tomorrow morning, and I was wondering if anyone on MFP has any experience with apps such as Endomondo or SportyPal (for Android phones). I have been reading up on them to see which is better or gives more helpful information. I know most of the time the calorie counts are off (just like MFP is), but I am planning on getting a HRM soon to help with that.

Anyone have an app they use and enjoy to track outdoor workouts? Especially something that tells you the distance you have gone, as I may not always use a set path.

Replies

• nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Mapmyrun for runs and biking is great.
  • velvetteddylove
    Options
    Mapmyrun for runs and biking is great.

thank you! I was reading the reviews and apparently the new update has given a lot of people trouble, have you used it recently and it worked well?
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Strava, can be used for both cycling and running. They are also working on having it connect directly to MFP once exercise is completed on the app. App works on both iphone and android ( I have a an iphone never had a connection issue)

You are also able to upload from a device - garmin, polar etc onto the website, which will then upload into MFP exercise calorie count.
  • kelCshea
    kelCshea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Endomondo!
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was reading the reviews and apparently the new update has given a lot of people trouble

Said everybody of every update ever.

I don't use the app, but I use the website with my Garmin GPS watch. Much easier to use than's Garmin's site, and much more versatile. There is also a VERY extensive activities list for logging just about anything you can imagine.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The only way to go is RUNKEEPER. You can track everything on it. Been useing it for 4 years. Its free or you can up grade for a few $$ or you can go to everymove.com and do a few miles and get RUNKEEPER ELITE for free for a year. if you get RK feel free to add me on it to your street team. Same screen name KT2007
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It also links right to MFPand auto post your workouts
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic

It has LOADS of activities it logs from Running, Areobics, Biking, Inline Skating

Plus it uploads to MFP automatically so I dont have to :)

And If your phone has Smart Bluetooth It will also connect with a HRM

xxx
  • velvetteddylove
    Options

Thanks! I downloaded it and it looks great. I'm not sure, though, how to link it to MFP. Am I missing something? (I have the free version right now) :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and iCardio with my Zephyr bluetooth HRM. The Zephyr uses regular bluetooth so it works with older Android phones. Runkeeper and iCardio are both awesome.
  • susielou22
    susielou22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Map my run. I run off the road and its just great
  • velvetteddylove
    Options

Thanks! I downloaded it and it looks great. I'm not sure, though, how to link it to MFP. Am I missing something? (I have the free version right now) :smile:

never mind, got it :)
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use Accupedo. I'm not sure how accurate it really is but it tells burn amount steps and miles. I also use Charity Miles for more inspiration! It donates for every mile you walk! :)
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    For running I use NIKE ID GPS watch and for biking I use my android, Edmondo and SHealth.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Cool, didn't know this is available. More motivation to move for a good cause!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd recommend Endomondo or Runkeeper. I use both of those together.

Strava is very good but quite expensive.

Runtastic I found to be a battery hog and has intrusive upselling.

MapMyFitness and its variants I've found unreliable and inconsistent so would not recommend.

Of the five I prefer Endomondo as it has good analytical features on the website.
  • jordidude01
    Options
    I noticed this is a really old topic, but i have a great APP for anyone that would like to keep track of how much they run, download the app called runtastic, it shows how far you've ran and approx how many kcal you have burned!

Happy running everyone....., I cant at the moment i have a torn ligament!! :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use mapmywalk/ride too. I haven't had any issues with them at all. The sync was off for a day but mine had no issues.

I like it because it's on my phone, I can have my music too and there is live tracking if you are in a questionable area...

I like the split it gives as well along with the sync to MFP and that I can have friends on it too. Not only does it track those workouts it tracks my workouts here.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strava. i like it because you can develop a network of friends and play king of the mountain with them, i.e. who has the better time on the same parts of your runs and rides.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I like RunMETER best of the ones I've tried (not RunKEEPER, which people always think is what I actually mean - I don't). It has the most consistent GPS of the ones I've been able/willing to afford (in fact after using free versions of several over the course of about a year, RunMeter is the only one I was willing to pay for)