Fitbit tracking - steps and calories burned - mine is low

Options
It doesn't seem I have the same calorie burn ability that I read about with others......

example....I try to average between 14,000 - 16,000 steps per day but, my calorie burn is barely 2250 where others seem to have calorie burns of 2500 and above and often with lower steps taken.

Last week my average was 16,000+ but, my burn was only 2249....

Does this seem right?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Don't compare your burn (or your losses) to anyone else's. I'm only 5'2", and 14,296 steps = 1,972 calories.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.
  • MaxVonMagnus
    Options
    Hi, can someone here tell me what weight to use when calculating calories burned for exercises like renegade rows, stationary cycling, rowing machine etc.? I'm 230 lbs but my body fat percentage is 28. So do I input my lean muscle mass (~165) or my total weight (230) in the online calculators? And how bad is a VO2max of 30 for a 24 year old male?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Some people do exercises that are not picked up by the Fitbit so they manually enter them. That will increase the calorie burn.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Last Saturday I had 15957 steps, burned 2714 calories, but 411 of those calories were done on a 5.5 mile run. My 30 day average is only 2100 per day. I'm 5'6". Did you make sure you put your stride length in on the website? From my understanding that can mess your data up a little if it's not correct. If you're doing extra, like a run or other cardio are you entering that separately?
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Heavier people burn more than lighter people, younger people more than older people....the website takes all your stats into account so your calorie burn for a certain number of steps may be different than someone else's.