Toning Sneakers

Options
I need new sneakers and since I'm moving to NYC and plan to walk to work as many days as possible (weather granted), I am thinking about investing in a pair of Reebok or New Balance Toning sneakers.

Does any one have these and more importantly, do they work?

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    I don't have either of those, but I have the sketchers. Not the funky looking ones, but the SRT's
    http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-clothing/styles/fitness/women_s_shape_ups/product/shape-ups_-_kinetix_response_s_r_t/bkhp/

I really love them. I did feel a difference in my leg muscles when I first started wearing them, but now, although they may still be doing their job, i'm not as sore.

I hate wearing closed toed shoes. I'm a Southern California girl through and through and rarely out of flip flops. But when I'm going for walks or to my gym classes, these are what I wear. They are THE most comfortable tennis shoe I have EVER owned, and ironically, I have owned several.

HTH :)
  • Buckeye_Mama
    Buckeye_Mama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok Simply Tone. My mom raved about them so I had to go get a pair as well. I honestly have noticed that my legs have been getting more toned (defined) as I wear these. I work out in them too, so doing lunges and squats is even more difficult and I feel my legs get a better work out because of them. When you wear them, you can definitely feel your muscles trying to control your balance moreso than in regular sneakers. I don't think they are meant for running though, if that is your thing. I recommend them...get them at Kohls when you have a 30% off coupon. :) Plus, they just look like normal shoes, not those typical toning shoes.
  • cruan
    cruan Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the Reeboks and love them!!! When I first bought them, I wore them for over 12 hours walking around Disneyland. My feet didn't hurt until I finally sat down to go back to the parking lot. This summer, I walked my dog just about every day for around 3 miles. One day I noticed that my calves looked firmer, my thighs weren't as jiggly (they still jiggle, but not as much), and my bum looked better. I never got sore from wearing them so that I could tell I was getting a work out, but these shoes (according to the advertising), give "micro-instability" so I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't feel a whole lot while wearing them.

Hope that helps some.
  • cmsdives
    Options
    I got a pair of the Reebok before I got my Skeechers - I never wear the Reeboks any more (and actually consider them a waste of money). I have both the SRTs and the Shape-ups and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE both! I use the SRTs primarily at the gym and the Shape-ups the rest of the time (especially if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, like at the races). Not only do I honestly feel a difference in my leg muscles when I wear them, I also walk properly. I have no arches - my feet are as flat as a pancake - and I pronate when I walk normally. When I'm in my Skeechers I don't pronate, they force me to walk properly. I would caution you to heed the "ease into them" advice. I didn't and experienced pretty bad back pain when I first started wearing my Shape-ups. When I went to the doctor we figured out it was because I wasn't pronating when I walk in them. If you have a FINISH-LINE shoe store near you (or know your size and want to order on-line) a lot of their shoes come with a 15-day trial period where you can return them if you find you don't like them. Also, if you have a Kohl's - they don't have the SRT's (at least not the stores by me), but they do carry the regular Shape-ups and they will take them back even if you've worn them (I was actually shocked when I tried to return a pair I'd had for a couple months because I really needed a half size larger - they returned them without a question). Another thing with the Skeechers - if you have wider feet I would suggest you look at the men's version. The women's versions are narrower at the ball/toes than the men's version. I have found that I am much more comfortable in the men's version of the SRT than the women's.

Hope this helps, sorry for rambling!

:happy: