coconut oil benefits

Options
I hear coconut oil is a good fat burner. Have any of you guys tried it with your protein shakes. Do you notice any differences in yourself?

Replies

• Charlie001
    Options
    I use it. I also use cla 80, nutrasea + d, green tea extract and l-carnitine. I am dropping fat that would not leave pretty fast. I do not know how much of a role any of the componets contribute. All I can tell you is that if you stack these together, you will see reults.
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    I hadn't heard of that until you posted here which then led me to google. I found a great link from the mayo clinic which I think is a good source for information.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've never tried coconut oil in a shake or anything, but I do know that coconut is a good course of medium chain triglycerides (MTCs). Coconut oil is composed of about 65% of these. Medium chain triglycerides are different from long chain triglycerides because of their shorter carbon structure. This means that the body more readily absorbs them and doesn't require modification like the fatty acids found in, say, milk fat. MTCs are absorbed without the need for bile salts, and they go directly to the portal vein of the liver to be used. This means quicker energy.

They are useful in ketogenic dieting, and there is some research being done around medium chain triglycerides and their usefulness in weight loss in general. Some studies have shown that MTCs can help in the process of excess calorie burning, but research is still being done.

Other benefits of coconut oil include lauric acid which converts to the fatty acid monolaurin in the body. This causes it to have adverse effects on a variety of microorganisms in the body including bacteria, fungi, yeast and viruses. Lauric acid is a main component of human breast milk and helps protect children from illness during infancy.

What you need to know if you are going to use coconut oil on a regular basis:
    1. Don't use hydrogenated coconut oil. You might as well pour shortening in your smoothie. The process of hydrogenation adds trans fats which are bad for you.
    2. Saturated fat is contained in coconut oil. But this isn't necessarily something that should scare you if you're watching your intake of other sources of saturated fat and your portion sizes.