Question??

Options
Somedays I can't fit exercise in while I am home but when I go to work I walk from one end of the building to the other and take the steps when I am going to 2nd floor. I do this all night. Can I count this as exercise?

Replies

• dudleyvic
    Options
    Absolutly. It's movement and it's burning calories.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    I would say yes, especially if it is out of the norm. If you always do that, your body would be kind of used to it anyway...
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    Yes! and add your cleaning of your house...ever wonder why you sweat a bit when you are cleaning? BECAUSE you are working out....and it makes it worth while to keep a tidy house when you see those calories burned lol
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You CAN count this as exercise, but doing that may not be helpful for your weight reduction journey. It really depends on if you have your status set as sedentary, active, etc. If when you started this you set your daily activity as "active" then your calorie recommendations will include that kind of lifestyle caloric burn. If, however, you set your life style as sedentary, then you could. The thing is that you want to be honest with yourself to really lose the weight. So, I sit in an office most of the day every day. I work on a very large campus (over 2 city blocks from end to end). If I have to cross campus several times throughout the day (this happens only a few times a week at the most), then I will likely add that to my exercise. Also, I go home after working 10 - 12 hours a day and I am lucky to get in my 30 minutes of stationary bike or walking. So, on the weekends is when I do ALL of my housework, my many remodeling projects, etc. I DEFINITELY claim those calories on weekends or like this last Tuesday, I spent all afternoon/evening (over 8 hours) working on my counter top project in my kitchen. I know that I burned calories and strengthened muscles, so I claimed about 180 minutes of carpentry, plumbing as caloric burn (you should be in my body even today - still have muscle aches from doing so darned much - especially following my weekend of putting in cabinets and drywall, etc. I also really try to get the time to do at least 30 minutes of cardio (fast walking, bike, etc) each night and on the weekends - but sometimes there simply isn't enough time due to my other projects. I have continued to reduce my weight - not as quickly as when I do 30 - 60 minutes of cardio every single day/night, but still reducing. I seem to reduce more towards the end of the week (Thursday/Friday/Saturday) simply because the end of my week at work is way less taxing usually, I can usually get home earlier (only 8 - 10 hours instead of 10- 12 hours), so I am able to do more.

You have to figure out what works for you. If what you have been doing isn't demonstrating the kind of results you want, then you need to do something different. Increasing exercise in conjunction with decreasing caloric intake is the ONLY way to reduce weight effectively. IT IS YOUR JOURNEY - YOU ARE IN CONTROL - YOU GET TO DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU.

Blessings as you continue on reaching your goals.

Vickie