Numb Feet

HidyleDidyle
HidyleDidyle Posts: 147
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
When I use the elliptical trainer, my feet tend to go numb. What is up with that? Could I possibly be doing something incorrectly?

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    I've been told that is normal. I get that too. Both on the eliptical and the recumbant bike.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    I have the same problem. I've been told that it could be that my calves aren't stretched enough or my shoes are too tight. I've tried stretching my calves and loosening my laces, but my left food still goes numb.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    mine does too, i just thought it was because I'm THAT out of shape
  • My feet are fine, it is my thumbs that actually go numb.
  • If I remember correctly, it's the pressure on your feet that make them go numb on the elliptical. Mine do the same thing.

If you try to fully unweight each foot as you go, or even every so often, it helps a little bit.

Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    This happens to a lot of people on the elliptical. I can only stay on there for 20 minutes. I have no suggestions.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Mine do too.
  • HisLamb
    HisLamb Posts: 15 Member
    Mine do the same thing on the recumbant bike. I've stretched, loosend and changed socks and it didn't help so I figured it was circulation problems. Sometimes it does it like every minute and I find myself stopping alllll the time to let the blood flow and then sometimes I can go up to 4 mins or more without it doing it. Very frustrating I must say.
  • My toes go numb after about 20 minutes. I think it's because the way you have to put more pressure on the balls of your feet when using the elliptical. Whereas when running you land on your heal or the flat of your foot.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    That happens to me, specifically my left foot. I do a cross train reverse setting, where you go forward for 5 mins, than reverse for 2. The reverse setting is like 2 minutes of relief on my feet, but still going at the same speed.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    It so feels good to know you are not alone. I've had the same problem, mine do it when I run as well, right about 4 miles. I have been working with a holistic podiatrist on the issue. He has me stretching the top tendon of my foot leading to my big toe. You sit in a chair and bend your foot behind you with the top of the foot on the ground. The problem occurs when people's big toe curls up with each step basically pressure is hitting the nerves in the foot and you are numbing them. The exercise has worked wonders and I have much less pain. The running numbness has stopped and the elliptical numbness is better for longer, still occurs but not as quickly.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    I used to but now it went away. I can do a hour on it and be fine.
  • Mine do too but I thought it was because I'm pregnant lol.
  • Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one whose feet lose feeling when they exercise! I'm going to try the suggestions and see if it helps! Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.