Fat Burn vs. Cardio

Options
When i am on the eliptical at the gym there is a chart of heart rates and there are 2 columns. One says "FAT BURN" and one says "CARDIOVASCULAR". The fat burn heart rates are lower and the cardio ones are higher.... Does this really make a difference when trying to lose weight? Do i want to try to keep my heart rate to the lower side to lose weight or does it matter at all?

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    the higher your heart rates the more fat you will burn and all around you get better condition its just like the minimum and max probably
  • umk2009
    umk2009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    higher the heart rate..more calories you burn...

I think effective way is to alternate between lower and higher HR constantly...like doing 1 min low intensity...2 min high intensity ...do it for like 20 mins... ..you will love it..
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    When i am on the eliptical at the gym there is a chart of heart rates and there are 2 columns. One says "FAT BURN" and one says "CARDIOVASCULAR". The fat burn heart rates are lower and the cardio ones are higher.... Does this really make a difference when trying to lose weight? Do i want to try to keep my heart rate to the lower side to lose weight or does it matter at all?

The Fat Burn setting does intervals (in my experience) so it will have a lower rate for a while, then a short burst of higher resistance, then back to the lower rate. The Cardio just works your cardiovascular system :tongue:
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options

I think effective way is to alternate between lower and higher HR constantly...like doing 1 min low intensity...2 min high intensity ...do it for like 20 mins... ..you will love it..

This is pretty much the Fat Burn setting on the elliptical I used :)
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Cardio does get your heart rate up to the max and tries to keep it there for most of the workout, whereas fat burn doesn't.
    Interval training really works especially on the elliptical. Most machines have an option for "hill plus". This really works .
    You get your HR up quickly and then you go to your max and then recover. You can pick the program that you want to do and the level of intensity.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I was told by a trainer at the gym that in order to lose weight effectively, that I should use the machines with the Cardio settings. He said that it's better for your heart health, and for burning MORE calories which in turn aids in fat loss.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am going to be the odd one on this post. I use to care about that as well and believed in the old ways of thinking. Yes, it good to work your heart rate at certain levels and as you get in shape, you will notice your heart rate lower doing the exact same thing. As for fat burning, that is not correct, as latest studies have shown that it is over a 24 hour period of time that truly burns fat. In other words, calories in verses calories used.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yep, I read that the Fat Burn on the cardio machines is crap...it shouldn't even be on there...in order to get the most out of your workout you should use the Cardio option.