Advice on working night shift

I am starting my first ever night shift job tonight and I am wondering if anyone has any good tips or ideas relating to it. Such as foods, keeping up energy etc.

Replies

• greeneyedgirl
    greeneyedgirl Posts: 100
    I am starting my first ever night shift job tonight and I am wondering if anyone has any good tips or ideas relating to it. Such as foods, keeping up energy etc.
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    i did night shifts for a while. it is very hard. and it can get depressing to not see the sun. but my advice would be to bring a bunch of fruit for snacks. it will keep you alert and not spike your blood sugar:smile: good luck.
  • I've worked a few night shifts when i worked for B & Q while i was in college and the uni.

I found that night shifts i'd eat loads, especially with the vending machines there. It was very physical work but i still ate loads.

I think as jewlz says, fruit is a good idea.

Al
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Hey Greeneeyedgirl!

I spent several years working rotating shifts, and I loved night shift. Just know it will take you a little while to get acclimated to it, but once you do it's really no different from day shift. Like Jewlz and Al said, be aware of what you eat as it is easy to snack (though I ate more on day shift as it was more available) due to boredom. Keep yourself occupied (I was a cop, so I had hours of boredom and moments of terror :tongue: ) and stay away from caffeine is you can. It will give you an energy boost for a short time, but will actually make you more tired in the end. It's just really important that you get good sleep during the day. I actually slept in a closet at one point, it was dark and right next to an A/C unit, I slept GREAT! :laugh:

Anyway, have a good time tonight and I wish you much luck. Of course, if you have internet access, night shifts are a great time to hang out with your night owl MFP buddies (like myself!):wink:
  • greeneyedgirl
    greeneyedgirl Posts: 100
    Unfortunately no internet access and I will be on my feet doing things the entire shift so breaks will be the only downtime.