Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Funkytobias is on the money.
  • ghs63
    ghs63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-supplement-guru-when-should-i-take-creatine.html

The pre/post workout debate has been going on for longer than a decade. There are PLENTY of studies that show taking creatine post-workout has an equal or greater effect than pre-workout. Don't discount or dismiss the research just because it is not in line with what YOU believe.

Unfortunately, confirmation bias is all too prevalent on this site
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    You have a right to feel how you want, I personally don't care. The fact is that the information is out there, there are more studies than just what I posted, and professionals apply these concepts with their clients with good results. What you do with that information is up to you.

If the evidence is there, then please present it. Fact is there is no reason to believe that timing has any effect at all.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-supplement-guru-when-should-i-take-creatine.html

The pre/post workout debate has been going on for longer than a decade. There are PLENTY of studies that show taking creatine post-workout has an equal or greater effect than pre-workout. Don't discount or dismiss the research just because it is not in line with what YOU believe.

Unfortunately, confirmation bias is all too prevalent on this site

Protip: if you're going to make a claim, and cite a link, you may want to make sure that the link you cite actually agrees with your claim.
  • ghs63
    ghs63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Man.. you really are dense. lol

What claim did I make? I simply stated that there is research in favor of post-workout creatine consumption. The article shows that. Nowhere did I say that it was BETTER to take it pre or post workout. Nowhere in my post did I say that I believed that one way was better than the other. I simply said that there is research backing up Sam_I_am's point and that for you to dismiss that research is not a smart move on your part.

In addition to confirmation bias, there also seems to be a lack of basic reading comprehension skills on this site... No offense!
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Man.. you really are dense. lol

What claim did I make? I simply stated that there is research in favor of post-workout creatine consumption. The article shows that. Nowhere did I say that it was BETTER to take it pre or post workout. Nowhere in my post did I say that I believed that one way was better than the other. I simply said that there is research backing up Sam_I_am's point and that for you to dismiss that research is not a smart move on your part.

In addition to confirmation bias, there also seems to be a lack of basic reading comprehension skills on this site... No offense!

EL-OH-EL

You may want to read the link you posted again
    Antonio and co-author Victoria Ciccone reported in a 2013 issue of The Journal of The International Society of Nutrition that there wasn't any significant difference between the two groups for lean mass gains, body fat, or muscle strength. However, when they ran some much weaker statistical correlations, there was evidence that taking creatine post-workout was more effective on lean muscle gains and muscle strength.

Predictably, a bunch of magazines, websites, and pseudo-scientist bodybuilding "experts" took this as conclusive proof that taking creatine post-workout is far superior than taking it pre-workout. My message to them is: not so fast.

The rest of the article is just him pulling **** out of his *kitten*. There is zero evidence (apart from the crap study I already eviscerated) that timing of creatine matters a whit.

If you have evidence to contradict me, please post it (ie not opinion pieces -- real peer-reviewed studies).
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    So I'm currently bulking but I'm doing a clean bulk. I've been taking in about 2600-2700 calories a day. Basically a 100-200 calorie surplus. It's funny because I gained around 5-8lbs within 2 weeks while taking creatine. Is it normal? I'm really hoping it's not because I changed my macros haha.

I gave up on creatine many years ago for bulking. Sustanon 250, heavy weights and about 4,000 calories a day works best for me.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Eviscerated? LOL!!! Okay, so I have to ask. What is your background and expertise that gives you the experience to "eviscerate" two of many peer-reviewed stuides that were posted?
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    How about just answering OP's question, as opposed to getting into a pissing match over the timing of Creatine supplementation? Did he ask about that? No, he asked if it was possible that his inital, relatively large spike in weight could be the result of Creatine. Answer his question then leave. This is not the forum for your debates.

So OP, yes, it is definitely possible, even likely that your increase in weight did come from the retention of intramuscular water as the result of creatine supplementation. Take it whenever you want.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Eviscerated? LOL!!! Okay, so I have to ask. What is your background and expertise that gives you the experience to "eviscerate" two of many peer-reviewed stuides that were posted?

You posted ONE study that dealt with timing. And, as I have already described, is a steaming pile of ****. Please post some more of the "many" studies you claim exist.

There are a plethora of opinion pieces, all of which reference the same crap study. As far as I could find, there isn't a single other piece of evidence for your claim that creatine timing makes a whit of difference.

As far as my background is concerned, what does it matter? Do you take issue with my analysis of the study, if so where?
    FYI, I'm an actuary, so I'm quite well-versed in statistical analysis. And the analysis in this study reeks.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I posted two. Listen man, I personally don't care to be honest; I just find it funny. You even request scholarly work be posted and when it is you pick it apart either because you have trouble with the study's structure or it doesn't support your opinion, either way it doesn't really matter. Somebody must've felt that it was relevant research for it to be published. I'm not going back through any research, but it does exist; it you want it you can find it.

You have an awesome job by the way. (not meant sarcastically either)
  • Grumpyanon
    Grumpyanon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with creatine if you want to keep your hair. It accelerates baldness.