Calories Burned - What Do You Trust - Heart Rate Monitor or

Options
Hello,

I recently started taking my heart rate monitor with me while I work out. What I have noticed is that I have been over stating my burned calories by hundreds.

For instance, when I completed an hours’ worth of Spinning my heart rate monitor said I only burned 596 calories but if you were to enter the using the application it would say I burned much much more.

Another instance is when I completed 1 hour and 40 minutes of exercise, 10 minutes of elliptical at middle resistance and 1 hour 20 minutes of vigorous strength training and 10 minutes of sit-ups I only burned 560 calories.

Which should I believe the heart rate monitor or the myfitnesspal application?

Thanks,

Joel

Replies

• ahkunkel
    Options
    I always go by my HRM. Your monitor is situated along your chest and counts your heart beats per minutes which is way more accurate than my fitness pal. Depending on peoples weights, fitness levels, etc they will burn different amounts of calories for the same exercise. What MFP gives you is an estimate based on what most people would burn for that activity, but for YOU it may not necessarily be accurate.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    HRM no question!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Both are just estimates, but of the two i would go with the one that is estimating the actual work you have performed; myfitnesspal application!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Definitely your HRM....
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    MFP is way off. They are only estimates and do not take into consideration your personal stats. Age, weight, etc. If you have a HRM that allows you to enter this information in then it uses your info to determine cals burned based on your personal stats and heart rate. MFP does not do any of that. Use your HRM.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    HRM!
    MFP is just an average/estimate. The HRM measures YOUR level of effort during the exercise. And if it's a good HRM, it factors in your height/weight, etc. So, the results are more accurate for you.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Both are just estimates, but of the two i would go with the one that is estimating the actual work you have performed; myfitnesspal application!
    MFP uses a "one size fits all" formula that really only takes your weight into consideration and is only for guesstimate purposes. A HRM takes height, weight, age, and your resting HR into consideration which allows it to be much more accurate. Not to mention the fact that HRMs with a chest strap take constant readings of your heart rate so the total calorie count is more accurate as well. If you have a HRM, I would HIGHLY recommend using that number and NOT MFP.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    MFP....it goes by METs, which is what we've been taught to use in my bachelors program for exercise physiology. HRM's are great tools, and we use HR for some things, but there are limitations. For example, some people have issues with it not reading their heart rate the whole time, or their heart rate will go up or down due to medications or health issues. If they aren't at a steady state and completely accurate in what is being done, the formulas get thrown off. But while you are exercising you are still moving X weight Y distance and that requires Z energy. It's basic physics.