And they were surprised

Options
Being Friday, I did a Cultural Experiment with chips Ahoy Choco chip cookies, Murray choco chip cookie (ring shaped) and Murray sugar free choco chip cookies. In a blind taste test, they tasted all three and they pretty much liked them all. :bigsmile:
Then I told them that one was sugar free. One student acused me of trying to poision them:noway: Then they had to guess which one was sugar free- Eight of them picked the chips Ahoy because it was darker. Six of the others picked the cookie in the shape of a ring (I guess they thought that the lack of sugar made the hole?) Only one student picked the real sugar free cookie (because most of the other students had picked the other two.) They were shocked :noway:

We then discussed how much sugar they eat (they all knew that they eat too much sugar) and we discussed the fact that these cookies tasted just as good if not better than some with sugar.

I then sent the sugar extras over to the skinning football coach and didn't try any- I kept the sugar free ones but i haven't eaten any:bigsmile:

Replies

• BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    Being Friday, I did a Cultural Experiment with chips Ahoy Choco chip cookies, Murray choco chip cookie (ring shaped) and Murray sugar free choco chip cookies. In a blind taste test, they tasted all three and they pretty much liked them all. :bigsmile:
    Then I told them that one was sugar free. One student acused me of trying to poision them:noway: Then they had to guess which one was sugar free- Eight of them picked the chips Ahoy because it was darker. Six of the others picked the cookie in the shape of a ring (I guess they thought that the lack of sugar made the hole?) Only one student picked the real sugar free cookie (because most of the other students had picked the other two.) They were shocked :noway:

We then discussed how much sugar they eat (they all knew that they eat too much sugar) and we discussed the fact that these cookies tasted just as good if not better than some with sugar.

I then sent the sugar extras over to the skinning football coach and didn't try any- I kept the sugar free ones but i haven't eaten any:bigsmile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful with this kind of experiment ... You just never know how someone will react to a sugar substitute, and the student may never have tried it, so he/she wouldn't know either.

I'm saying this because maltitol, sorbitol, erythritol, ALL of the sugar alcohols, even in chewing gum, make me really sick. You don't want to be liable if a student reacts the same way.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Sugar free cookies, yuck! I avoid artificial sweeteners at all costs. I read that in the US, the average American eats 50 lbs of additives and preservatives a year. I would rather eat a little less sugar.

Interesting experiment, though.