But I ♥ my cup of coffee!

Options
I don't want to give it up, but someone told me I shouldn't be drinking my 1-2 cups of coffee per day! I drink plenty of water and Crystal Light the rest of the day, so why would I have to give up my coffee now? I've lost weight. Is this person an extreme diet fanatic? Should I tuck my lovely coffee maker under the counter and away? Outta sight, outta mind...........

Replies

• WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    No way! One or two cups of coffee a day won't kill you or even derail your efforts to lose weight as long as you count the calories you put into the coffee (cream and sugar). I prefer mine black and would not ever consider getting rid of it!
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    1-2 cups of coffee/day is nothing. I read somewhere recently it can even be good for weight loss, and a number of other health issues (reader's digest maybe?)
    Anyway, I wouldn't give it up. Just count any cream/sugar/flavor calories. Remember this is supposed to be a lifestyle change and if you aren't going to be happy without coffee in your life (and I know I wouldn't be) then don't give it up.
    All things in moderation right?
  • rebel14
    Options
    You be you pink !! Your coffee consumption is not enough to inhibit your progress, its all in moderation, and your fine.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    theres nothing wrong with drinking a cup a day!

unless you drink your coffee as if it were more like cup of creamer with a dash of coffee then yes, i'd say get rid of it.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I was told too that i had to cut way back on my coffee (which was fair because I can consume it like it's water), but I find it difficult to cut back beyond 2 - 3 cups of it a day. So I've decided to cut back on my coffee extras (cream & sugar) instead.

I think as long as you make a conscious effort to reduce/substitute what you put IN your coffee and drink more water, coffee is NOT the worst habit you can have. I figure, I don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat tons of junk food and I exercise well, so I am not giving up my coffee!!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a cup or 2 a day! Unless it's filled with lots of cream and sugar, I think you're fine. I drink 2 cups every morning and split a teaspoon of sugar between them. :smile:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    someone told me I shouldn't be drinking my 1-2 cups of coffee per day!

I love my coffee too! Did this person explain further?
    I don't think I could face the day or leave the house w/o my BELOVED COFFEE!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I agree...... the coffee itself isn't the prob, but what goes in it! :laugh: :drinker:

And as long as it doesn't disturb your tummy or your sleep, then 1-2 cups a day is cool.

I'd get rid of the Crystal Light though............artificial chemicals are not good for ya!! :grumble: :noway:
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Coffee's actually pretty good (in moderation) because it helps your body metabolize fat (so my trainer told me) and the caffeine keeps your heart rate a little more elevated.
    I switched to drinking it black as a new year's resolution. It took me a good two months before I could say I enjoyed it, but now I love coffee again, appreciate the different flavors of coffee, and I LOVE that's only 2 calories a cup, now.
  • edemair
    edemair Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Crystal Light your drinking is way worse. Stay away from diet drinks made with artificial sweaters. The sweeteners stop your body from burning fat. Try Crystal light Fitness Water, Sobe Life water, or Fuze slender drinks. Or Throw in some lemons cucumbers, or limes in your water.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I would get rid of that person instead of my coffee :D
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I did a cleanse with a buddy that only entailed eating VERY clean, no beef or pork, no alcohol, and no coffee for 7 days. I had absolutely no issues with any of it . . . but the coffee . . . NEVER AGAIN will I go without my 2 cups of morning coffee . . . I repeat NEVER. Worst week ever (ha ha).
    I cut out the sugar a few years ago and now use milk instead of cream (I heat it up so my coffee is still nice and hot) but there is absolutely NO WAY I will give it up again.
    I've lost over 40 pounds and have had 2 - 3 cups per day, with the exception of the week from hell, and know there is nothing wrong with it.
    Just like everything, moderation is the key.
  • jonthom
    Options
    I agree w/ other posters. Black coffee has alomst 0 calories, fat, and cholesterol. Nothing about coffee makes it bad for weight loss except maybe excessive caffine. But 2-3 cups a day is fine. Cream and sugar will add calories and fat so be aware of how much of it you use.
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ack! Tell that person that they may not like you without your beloved coffee!! :) I use sugar free coffee creamer and it only amounts to like 35-50 calories a day...well worth it for my much needed fuel!
    I think that coffee only really gets to be a problem when it is
    a) in excess - like my grandma, who drinks it all day long! :)
    or b) if you are making a habit of sugar and calorie filled drinks at a coffee shop. Those can really add the calories up!
    Otherwise, drink away!!
  • flossicle
    Options
    I used to drink anywhere between 8 and 12 cups a day, i was thoroughly addicted..but i drank very little else.. So it was suggested to me that i cut down by a 3rd.. It was really tough to start with, and by my own and my boyfriends admission i was a nightmare to live with for the first few days. But i got through it and now drink between 3 and 4 and have replaced the rest with water, well... i hate to admit it but i feel absolutely fantastic for it, my skin is better, i sleep better and feel so much more hydrated.. So i'd say cutting down if you're a total addict like i was is a very good idea but i'd never give it up entirely.. You have to live and have little treats you enjoy daily!
  • second_1
    second_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus- its not the coffee, in moderation, but what you add to it. I use Sweetleaf Stevia (stevia is an alternative to sugar, its all natural and much better that an artificial sweetener with zero calories). You can buy it in single serve packets or in a liquid form that comes in flavors like butter toffee, vanilla and chocolate. Just make sure that your coffee doesnt replace your water and you should not have any problems with it affecting weight loss.:drinker:
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    If it works for you, do it! I'm also a coffee drinker :)

Charmagne
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I drink tons and I mean tons of coffee a day. I take mine black with one packet of Stevia and 2 tsp of sugar. (better than my old 6 tsp). I'd be shooting people left and right otherwise. And I've been losing FWIW. :smile:
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    keep drinking your coffee!!! weight watchers would even count it towards your water!!! (which i dont reccommend). just dont load it up with a bunch or cream and sugar and you are good to go!!! that would be like me giving up my pepsi max!!! not going to happen! oh and i know you said that you do, but make sure you are getting enough water everyday on top of it-recommended is 1/2 your weight in oz :)
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Remember that this journey is one that you are supposed to be on for the rest of your life. If you can imagine a life without coffee, then give up the coffee. But really what kind of zombie half life would that be, not one I would want to live my friend. As everyone else has says "moderation" (says the guy who drink 3-5 cups a day :tongue: )