Starting out

Options
Signed up last night. Been fighting obesity since I was 10 years old.
I'm not giving up.
Gonna fight the good fight again.
I want a lifelong change, but holy cow, it's not easy.
I'm getting some traction tthis time planning a day's meals in advance.
I'll see how it goes.

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You are so right . . . the only way to overcome this is to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN.
    I do a 2 week food plan including all meals and snacks, then build my grocery list from that. I do it in 2 week increments because that is how we are paid. I find that I can mindlessly throw together our meals because I just reference my plan on the side of the fridge.
    Every night when we are done dinner we reference the plan to take out the meat for the next night or cook a few chicken breasts for the next day's lunches (I slice them thinly for my husbands sandwiches and my salads).
    I also spend a few hours on Sundays washing, cooking, and portioning items for the week ahead.
    When I stick to my plan I see results week after week.

Biggest advice though . . . log every morsel, especially the bad choices/meals/days. I have learned more about myself from reviewing those bad choices than anything else.

Welcome to MFP!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've gained 15 pounds in the last year and I'm not sure why. My only real guess is starting using birth control and maybe recently turning 21... Either way I'm not happy. I've tried a couple of other sites, but this seems the most comprehensive on food and exercise. I also liked the automatic announcement of exercise activities and food entires, makes me feel good. I really liked at the end of the first day, I entered all my food and I got a note at the bottom stating what would happen if I keep eating and exercising in the way that I did for that day.

I find planning meals ahead of time works well, its also easier on my grocery bill.