WHAT????

Options
:smokin: LOL.

How many calories do you think a small Sushi Philadelphia roll is?? Ya know the little....rolls...immatation crab meat, cream cheese, wrapped in rice....I read somewhere that one little roll is 380 cals!? WHAT??? They aren't even an inch in diameter! Lol...I just got turned onto them...and snacked on about 5 of them before I realized that they may be high in calories...I don't know how...they're so small...and the only fattening thing on it is the very small amount of cream cheese. I'm confused.

Enlightenment, por favor. Lol...I'm not a sushi guru...

Thanks!

:laugh:

Replies

• jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    :smokin: LOL.

How many calories do you think a small Sushi Philadelphia roll is?? Ya know the little....rolls...immatation crab meat, cream cheese, wrapped in rice....I read somewhere that one little roll is 380 cals!? WHAT??? They aren't even an inch in diameter! Lol...I just got turned onto them...and snacked on about 5 of them before I realized that they may be high in calories...I don't know how...they're so small...and the only fattening thing on it is the very small amount of cream cheese. I'm confused.

Enlightenment, por favor. Lol...I'm not a sushi guru...

Thanks!

:laugh:
  • luvs2havefun
    Options
    A roll usually conisists of 8 pieces of sushi. The small one inch piece is only an eighth of the entire roll. So in reality each one inch piece is only around 47.5 cals. Unless the 380 cals is in reference to one piece of sushi you should be fine! :)
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Fortunately the sushi that I eat for lunch comes with nutrition facts. The caterer that provides it also has a great website with nutrition facts:

http://www.wisepakfoods.com/nutrition.php

If you look up Philly Roll there, that is 12 pieces, each about a 1-inch high, 1-inch diameter cylinder. And that's a total of 360 calories. So each slice of a roll of 1-inch diameter has about 30 calories.

By the way, I don't know where you live, but in the US at least, the Philly Roll should have smoked salmon in it, not imitation crab. :wink:
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    A roll usually conisists of 8 pieces of sushi. The small one inch piece is only an eighth of the entire roll. So in reality each one inch piece is only around 47.5 cals. Unless the 380 cals is in reference to one piece of sushi you should be fine! :)

LMBO....Thank you thank you thank you. Bless you...LOL! :laugh: I was pretty worried....thought I had just eaten my entire weeks worth of calories in one sitting! :laugh:

Thank you.:flowerforyou:
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    Fortunately the sushi that I eat for lunch comes with nutrition facts. The caterer that provides it also has a great website with nutrition facts:

http://www.wisepakfoods.com/nutrition.php

If you look up Philly Roll there, that is 12 pieces, each about a 1-inch high, 1-inch diameter cylinder. And that's a total of 360 calories. So each slice of a roll of 1-inch diameter has about 30 calories.

By the way, I don't know where you live, but in the US at least, the Philly Roll should have smoked salmon in it, not imitation crab. :wink:

Oh..:blushing: Maybe it's the other one...what is it, California roll...? I dunno. I'm new at this sushi thing. Not sure what it is then. Lol....I know it's a sushi roll...:tongue:
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    all sushi is high in calories, surprising and disappointing i know. i think it comes from the rice, white rice-empty calories. i usually get an eel and avocado roll, thought it was healthy, but then i found out it was 372 cals. =[ also, this isnt exactly the same topic but, an 1 avocado has 22 grams of fat! how can it be? its a vegetable! i used to eat like 3 a day! but anyway, i suggest you try an all vegetable roll, i like avocado and cucumber(140 cals) because even the california roll is high in calories with 362, then you could put a little bit of reduced fat cream cheese on it yourself, you'll know exactly how much you're getting and you can afford it with only 140 calories from the roll.
  • jaxkipi
    Options
    all sushi is high in calories, surprising and disappointing i know. i think it comes from the rice, white rice-empty calories. i usually get an eel and avocado roll, thought it was healthy, but then i found out it was 372 cals. =[ also, this isnt exactly the same topic but, an 1 avocado has 22 grams of fat! how can it be? its a vegetable! i used to eat like 3 a day! but anyway, i suggest you try an all vegetable roll, i like avocado and cucumber(140 cals) because even the california roll is high in calories with 362, then you could put a little bit of reduced fat cream cheese on it yourself, you'll know exactly how much you're getting and you can afford it with only 140 calories from the roll.

Wow...thanks. I'll try that. :happy:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    300-400 calories is perfect for lunch when you're trying to lose weight. The important thing is not to follow the sushi roll with an enormous cookie.

Take it easy. Sushi is one of the lowest-calorie meals you can get and still enjoy some unique flavors. On the whole, Japanese food is very healthy. I believe Japan is the only country where the average life expectancy is longer than ours (we were tied with Germany at 77, Japan was 80 last time I checked). The only large people there are sumo wrestlers.

That was half-joking ... But seriously, don't sweat the sushi. Just stay away from anything Tempura.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Kobrie17 is right the rice bumps up the calories, but the Philly roll has cream cheese on it which doesn't help. When we need our sushi fix we order a couple of rolls and try to stick with sashimi (no rice) for the rest of the meal. Fill up with some Miso soup to start with!

Hungry girl just posted something about this the other day http://hungry-girl.com/askhg/askhgdetails.php?isid=1415
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Cream cheese????
    Stick with more authentic sushi, nigiri, and sashimi and you may find things to be a bit more amenable. Just stay away from Kewpie, lol.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi:love: !

I go to this place that is really great, I usually get the sashimi. The Chef also knows my "rules" and he will make rolls up for me. He uses no rice, no mayo, and nothing fried. Can I tell you how tasty it is? :heart:

I've even heard of some places using brown rice.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can get brown rice sushi here--the pre-pak kind at the grocery store. Nice!