Calories lost by exercise?

Options
I'm 20 years old. I don't know my exact weight but I'm around 9stone, probably a bit heavier
I measure my weight loss in inches on certain body parts, but even though I've restricted my diet to 1200calories a day, and I have also been exercising as much as I can (doing sit ups, leg raises, crunches and plank daily as well as walking for at least half an hour with my dog) i have gained one inch on my waist measurement and 1.5 inches on my belly fat measurement. I feel very disappointed in myself now and I don't know if i made a mistake measuring the first time or something, but I want to see an improvement very soon.
I want to loose at least 5 inches off my belly fat measurement and 1 inch off my waist measurement by the end of June.
so any advice on how many calories I should burn every day doing exercises? Currently I burn at least 150calories on exercises, is this too little? (I'm not counting the calories I burn by just being alive and doing everyday stuff)

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    chances are you are eating more than you think, how are you measuring your food intake (i.e. measuring cups, weight, estimations?)

exercise isnt necessary to lose weight, it just helps you create a deficit since you can eat more food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You say you've gained a little in your midsection, but have lost elsewhere? Bloating typically is seen the belly. Are you experiencing PMS, or is it your TOM? Have you eaten a lot of sodium? The belly is the last place some people lose and unfortunately, we don't get much control over that.

Except for water weight, 1 inch off your belly by the end of this month is probably not likely. You could cut carbs very low to promote quick water weight loss if you are trying to lose for some occasion, but be aware that one you increase carbs again the water will likely come back.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A few things ...
    - Self measurement can be a pain to do consistently, especially when it involves around the back.
    - What process did you use to arrive at 1200 net calorie goal? What is the targeted loss per week? Goal weight? Height?
    - Are you measuring/weighing your intake or eyeballing it?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 years old. I don't know my exact weight but I'm around 9stone, probably a bit heavier
    I measure my weight loss in inches on certain body parts, but even though I've restricted my diet to 1200calories a day, and I have also been exercising as much as I can (doing sit ups, leg raises, crunches and plank daily as well as walking for at least half an hour with my dog) i have gained one inch on my waist measurement and 1.5 inches on my belly fat measurement. I feel very disappointed in myself now and I don't know if i made a mistake measuring the first time or something, but I want to see an improvement very soon.
    I want to loose at least 5 inches off my belly fat measurement and 1 inch off my waist measurement by the end of June.
    so any advice on how many calories I should burn every day doing exercises? Currently I burn at least 150calories on exercises, is this too little? (I'm not counting the calories I burn by just being alive and doing everyday stuff)

You don't "have to" burn any calories.

Exercise is for health and fitness.

I exercise
    1. To hang onto lean muscle while eating at a deficit
    2. To earn extra calories (which I eat back....see #1).
    3. To build/maintain a healthy lifestyle (a change I will need forever)....so the weight doesn't creep back up.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options

5 inches is a HUGE loss and that's not going to happen in 2 weeks without surgery.

You need to know what your starting weight is so you can determine how many calories you should be eating. You also have to weigh and measure all of your food. ALL of it. No guessing.

You are probably overeating.

Exercise is for fitness. Yes it can help you lose weight, but you can lose weight without doing it. A little exercise is better than no exercise though.
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I measure my foods weight, for liquid food such as soup I measure i calculate the calories in the pot of soup I make, then divide it by how many servings it is to get the calories per bowl. I do not guess the calorie intake in my food, so I'm not overeating on normal days (Ill admit that I may overeat by a little bit maybe once a month XD but I make sure to never eat more than 1800 calories a day)
    I also dont think I'm bloated or anything,
    I want eat at a deficit all the time too if possible. Does that mean I have too burn 1200calories a day doing exercise?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I measure my foods weight, for liquid food such as soup I measure i calculate the calories in the pot of soup I make, then divide it by how many servings it is to get the calories per bowl. I do not guess the calorie intake in my food, so I'm not overeating on normal days (Ill admit that I may overeat by a little bit maybe once a month XD but I make sure to never eat more than 1800 calories a day)
    I want eat at a deficit all the time too if possible. Does that mean I have too burn 1200calories a day doing exercise?
    1200 is a huge amount to be burning in one day, and if you do that you should be eating at least 2400 calories.

i can almost guarantee that if you are actually eating 1200 calories then this weight gain is from water. the extra inches added to your waist is due to you doing all those crunches and planks, these would have caused your abdominal muscles to swell. give it a few weeks before changing anything up
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Ummm ... no. In fact, 1200 calories may not be the right intake for you in the first place.

Why would you want to eat at a deficit all the time? Most people want to get to the point where they can eat at maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Ummm....1200 calories is your deficit. The average female burns around 1800 calories per day without deliberate exercise. You put all of that info into MFP so that this calculator can calculate your calorie goal for you based on what your intended goals are....1200 is not maintenance save for the tiniest and oldest female on the planet.

If you ate 1200 calories per day with no exercise at all you would lose weight...if your maintenance was 1800 calories (WITHOUT EXERCISE) you would have a 600 calorie deficit which is right around 1 Lb per week...but let me guess...you put that you wanted to lose 2 Lbs per week amirite? Read this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1318741-in-5-weeks-you-ll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working?page=1#posts-20358726