Counting Calories on a Budget

Options
ani091769
ani091769 Posts: 13 Member
I'm in a serious financial pinch but need ideas for low-cost meals. Seems like unhealthy super processed stuff is usually the cheapest. Any thoughts for cheap dinners that are worth their weight in nutritional gold??? ;)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    First and foremost: shop the sales. I will look at a grocery's store ad and make meal plans based off of that.

Shop at ethnic stores: my local Asian grocery has dirt cheap produce compared to the regular grocery store.

Frozen vegetables are very nutritious and quite cheap compared to their fresh counterparts. Frozen spinach in particular provides huge bang for the buck..

Stock up on meat when on sale and freeze what you won't use.

Eggs are a cheap (and delicious) protein source.

Try farmer's markets for in-season produce

Make big batches of soup: cheap and filling, freeze what you can't eat for a cheap "heat and eat" meal for the future

Buy staples like beans and rice in bulk

Canned salmon or tuna provide protein on the cheap
  • mahopper2008
    mahopper2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Veggies really are not that expensive. I like to buy frozen because the fresh ones go bad so quickly. Stock up on lean protein when it is on sale and freeze it. Couponing helps a lot.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Veggies at the dollar store, but eat them quickly. They are usually rejected from a regular grocery store because they don't look aestehetically pleasing, but they're the same...just probably don't have the same shelf life though.

Don't buy anything pre-packaged like salads. Buy the ingredients separately and make your own and you'll probably have enough for 4 salads instead of just one packaged salad.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's been suggested, dried legumes are cheap, especially in bulk, and they keep a long time. Lentils and split peas cook quickly without pre-soaking, but you can cook chickpeas and beans without pre-soaking; it just takes longer.

Rice and legumes together provide nutritionally complete protein, and they taste really good too. You can add a little meat or some spices for flavor. A lot of my meals are variants on onion, garlic, rice, and beans.

Spices can be expensive, but they last a long time. If there's an Asian food store in your area, you can find spices there for a lot less than the typical prices in supermarkets.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    I agree about frozen vegetables and making your own salads. If you know someone with a Sam's or Costco card go there and buy your dry goods like rice, beans, etc in bulk. Coupon or look for store App deals, I got a bunch of frozen chicken and frozen fish really cheap at Target of all places just because they had them on sale, they had online coupons, and had a Cartwheel discount on them. Most stores price match especially Walmart so be that super annoying person in the checkout with all your sales ads so you don't have to waste gas going to individual stores.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Beans are great. Protein and carbs together, fiber, lots of vitamins, you can do so much with them, and they're inexpensive.

Stock up on meats when they're on sale. They freeze really well.

If you have the time, learn how to make your own bread. It's a lot less expensive that store-bought (and probably better for you).

Buy frozen veggies when they're on sale. They're usually as good as fresh, but last in your freezer a lot longer, so you can stalk up.

Learn how to use leftovers, especially when buying meat in large quantities. For example, we bought a large ham a week or so ago. It was $20 but we've used it for at least 4 meals already: baked ham (day 1), rice with ham and cheese gravy, ham and egg scramble, and ham sandwiches. We still have some left, plus we froze the bone so I can use it when I make split-pea soup (if you cook dry beans with a bone, esp if it has a bit of meat still clinging to it, it gives the flavor to the beans and makes a great broth. You can also use bones to make stock for soup - beef, chicken/turkey, pork, etc)
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. Our family is all eating on the healthy plan and that's myself, 100 to lose total, hubby 30 lbs to lose and our two teen boys. I believe we are actually saving money now because even though we are eating more pricey and healthy options from the organic and produce sections we have cut out just as much in volume and junk foods. We probably ate $25 cheese a week as a family before the diet.
    My big money saver is lean cuisine and weight watchers frozen meals for our lunches. When they are on sale for 4 or 5 for $10 it's the cheapest lunch possible and they do not have preservatives added. My husband and I are saving at least $40/week not eating out for lunch. The frozen meals are mistake proof eating because the macros are prettywell balanced and portion controlled. I have lost 42lbs in 14 weeks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, rice, pasta and frozen vegetables are usually the best bargains in the store.

Buy meat when it's on sale and freeze. Canned tuna, eggs, cheese can be low cost protein sources.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My budget as a college student. $30 a week per person

$7 meat
    $6 vegetables
    $5 fruit
    $4 dairy or eggs
    $3 carb
    Total: $25
    $5 stables

Buy stuff on sale. Take full advantages of the walmart matching program. Cook a big meal and portion it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    First and foremost: shop the sales. I will look at a grocery's store ad and make meal plans based off of that.

Shop at ethnic stores: my local Asian grocery has dirt cheap produce compared to the regular grocery store.

Frozen vegetables are very nutritious and quite cheap compared to their fresh counterparts. Frozen spinach in particular provides huge bang for the buck..

Make big batches of soup: cheap and filling, freeze what you can't eat for a cheap "heat and eat" meal for the future

that's about how I do it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

that's about how I do it.

I as well. This is great advice...
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Chicken goes on sale here all the time for less than a dollar a pound. Carrots, celery, onions and brown or wild rice. Toss it all in a pot and make a fat pot of soup. Legumes are very cheap and high in protein. I don't like creamy split pea soup much but a nice chunky legume and veggie stew is delicious.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian. I just don't eat meat all the time. It is so expensive and lots of cheap alternatives for protein. If time isn't an issue, catch some fish.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    Beans are great. Protein and carbs together, fiber, lots of vitamins, you can do so much with them, and they're inexpensive.

Stock up on meats when they're on sale. They freeze really well.

If you have the time, learn how to make your own bread. It's a lot less expensive that store-bought (and probably better for you).

Buy frozen veggies when they're on sale. They're usually as good as fresh, but last in your freezer a lot longer, so you can stalk up.

Learn how to use leftovers, especially when buying meat in large quantities. For example, we bought a large ham a week or so ago. It was $20 but we've used it for at least 4 meals already: baked ham (day 1), rice with ham and cheese gravy, ham and egg scramble, and ham sandwiches. We still have some left, plus we froze the bone so I can use it when I make split-pea soup (if you cook dry beans with a bone, esp if it has a bit of meat still clinging to it, it gives the flavor to the beans and makes a great broth. You can also use bones to make stock for soup - beef, chicken/turkey, pork, etc)

Yes this!! I usually buy chicken and throw it in the crock pot on Sunday and use it throughout the week for different meals such as salads, quesadillas, stir fry, etc. It's a great way to extend a protein for multiple meals throughout the week.