Dinner ideas

kt1304
kt1304 Posts: 21
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I haven't been following MFP properly since may time and have recently got back on the wagon. Im fairly confident that i can snack and eat health breakfasts and lunches but i always hit a wall with dinner!

I need somthing fairly easy to cook, can prepare up to 30mins i guess or less preferably and it has to be super tasty!

Any ideas for meals that are tasty, filling and healthy!?

Thanks,

Kate

Replies

• A lot of recipe sites have specific healthy collections. Allrecipes.com in particular I know has search criteria for under 30 min and healthy. Some or my favorites from there are:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-and-Corn-Quesadillas/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccoli-Chicken-Divan/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Cream-Of-Broccoli-Soup/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sarges-EZ-Pulled-Pork-BBQ/Detail.aspx

Also check out SparkRecipes.com.

And I love annnnything that can be made in a slow-cooker. It's my go-to during the week. I like having my dinner already made by the time I get home!
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    bump to give ideas and read later!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    I usually make some variation of chicken breast and veggies. You can use a lot of different kinds of dressings to cook the chicken in to make it taste a little different. I buy my chicken boneless and skinless, trim and cut it to the size I want and then wrap them separately so I can cook one at a time if I want to. Sometimes I bake a potato in the microwave to go along with it if I have the calories for it or if I'm starving or you could cook some kind of quick rice instead. Salad is always fast and low fat with a lot of variations, just watch the amount of cals and fat when you add to the lettuce, etc.
  • bump here too lol
  • You sound just like me! I do well at breakfast and lunch, but not always for dinner. I work during the week and its so hard to get home to cook healthy. I find that if I cook some things over the weekend I will do good on Mon. and Tues. nights. LOL! Bake chicken in low fat marinade, steam veggies or just eat raw veggies. Baked chicken seems to taste better the second day to me too if I have a good marinade that it soaks in overnight. This weekend I did a huge pot of spagetti with ground turkey meat and fresh veggies. I used whole wheat noodles. IT was awesome and it lasted me a few nights.
  • The other day, I cooked a chicken breast in 1/2 cup of salsa and a few cut up mushrooms. It was so tasty and super healthy. I also added a little bit of water so it wouldn't dry out in the oven.
    Good luck ! Hope you get lots of great ideas.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Last night, I made a Cooking Light gratin, but in custard cups....serving sizes are controlled, cooking time went way down. I steamed some tiny asparagus, and quickly sauted spinach with fresh garlic. Everything was done in 25 minutes, and was super tasty.

Another fast meal was meatloaf in muffin tins-- it went from fridge to table in under 30, and was neatly portioned. (and one muffin was enough to fill the sandwich the next day). Roasted vegetables are also good and tasty and, while they may take more than 30 minutes to roast, don't take very much time to throw together. (I can hardly wait until tonight's dinner: left over gratin cup, roasted brussels sprouts, and more spinach!)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    stop by my blog for supper meal ideas. i cook up something 5 nights a week. most of what i make takes under an hour - quick and easy. i haven't been good about posting recipes lately but i am working at getting better. :)

http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    I had this dilemma tonight. Hubby had tennis at 6 so he didn't want a big dinner and my vegetarian daughter was around. We ended up with egg noodles and sauteed vegetables and salad.

You might check out www.eatingwell.com I printed out a bunch of recipes to try at a later date (like when I have the ingredients in the house)
  • kt1304
    kt1304 Posts: 21
    Thanks everyone,

Im trying some fish recipes over the weekend, tonight is garlic fish soup...if it goes well ill let you know!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    I am having a turkey burger with sweet potato fries and lentil soup (low sodium). The sweet potato fries and lentil soup were prepared foods. It makes it easy on nights like tonight when I am busy.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    From the allrecipes.com site, already recommended, I made a recipe, last night called Pasta and Beans! Oh my it was super easy, super tasty, super easy, and very low in both calories and sodium. It also kept me very full because of the beans in it! Allrecipes has many recipes that are easy and low in calories.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    chicken parm: dip chicken tenders in egg, and then in italian bread crumbs, bake 20 minutes, add ragu sauce and cheese (optional) and bake 10 more minutes, in the meantime cook the spaghetti and some garlic bread (add a salad if you wish, I don't eat salad) and dinner is ready, takes about 35 minutes total prep and cooking
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    stuffed peppers don't take long either, and I am so hooked on them at the moment. A whole pepper is only 30 calories too!
    93% lean ground beef, rice, onion, s&p, tomato sauce, a little of a beaten egg, add to a pepper cut in half lengthwise (add the pepper to boiling water for 5 minutes before stuffing) pour the sauce over the top and bake for 30-40 minutes, delicious! serve with a baked potato, or french bread, or whatever you like.
This discussion has been closed.