Fast Food Addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Fast food addiction is real.

I used to spend 200-300 dollars a month on fast food alone. I gained 65 pounds and ended up getting gastritis in my stomach. In fact, it got so bad that I could no longer absorb iron and I was anemic. I couldn't take iron pills so I had to get iron infusions every few weeks. If I didn't have fast food, I would shake and couldn't think about anything else. I'd dig through my car for spare change to buy any sort of fast food.

My doctor herself confirmed that I was addicted. She said that fast food (junk food in general) can release endorphins that you can be addicted to. I stopped eating it and I was able to get my iron levels back to normal. My gastritis got better and I was finally able to start losing weight and feeling better. It was a hell of a process to get over it, but I'm much better now for doing so.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I happened to change jobs 4 years ago and my new commute brings me no where near fastfood. I found that "out of sight, out of mind" was easy. This is not the magic trick for everyone, unfortunately :( Now, I eat a Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger once a week or so after a heavy lifting session. Mindful eating can be a good detractor for fast food.
  • KevinIMCPA
    KevinIMCPA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a job where I traveled all day, car travel. When I first started the job I ate fast food for every mean. I mean jumbo size fast food & every meal. When I ate one that wasn't good, I wanted more in an hour. I stopped by cutting back gradually. I very seldom eat fast food now.
    I imagine it would be hard to stop when you ate working with it & get it free. Take a lot of fruit to work with you. Its obvious to say but that food "its bad for you" hehe
    Its not only fattening but it WILL cause chronic diseases.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I had a job where I traveled all day, car travel. When I first started the job I ate fast food for every mean. I mean jumbo size fast food & every meal. When I ate one that wasn't good, I wanted more in an hour. I stopped by cutting back gradually. I very seldom eat fast food now.
    I imagine it would be hard to stop when you ate working with it & get it free. Take a lot of fruit to work with you. Its obvious to say but that food "its bad for you" hehe
    Its not only fattening but it WILL cause chronic diseases.

You ate jumbo size every fast food meal? Crazy
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Power of the mind people!!! :glasses:

Addiction is an addiction no matter the drug - just stop going
  • alereck
    Options
    Two things:

1) Actually log every day and log it all for 30 daysl to make yourself accountable.

You need to see this. It's important.

2) Save ALL your fast food receipts. Add them up after the 30 days. Hell, put the price in the notes of your food diary.

Add up the total calories AND the amount of money you spent on it.

Say the amounts out loud. Get mad and say it angrily.

That should slow your brain down.

Think about how much a piece of grilled chicken with some side dishes from the market would have cost in calories and monetarily.

You can do it!

You're so sweet, great advice!
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Watch a documentary like Fast Food Nation, or any one that shows in great detail how the beef or chicken is grown and harvested for those places. That's always been enough to help keep me away.

Maybe you could stop at Chipotle once in a while until you kick the habit entirely, idk.
  • alereck
    Options

I tried reading this article just to see what he was using to back up his claims, 3 times it's crashed my browser. I'm just saying, even my browser doesn't believe this.

:laugh:
  • iamladygusta
    Options
    For me, fast food was/is my emotional-eating-go-to-food. Ooohh... especially a double whopper with cheese and a large fry with zesty sauce. YUM. Initially it makes me "feel" better mentally... but then I feel guilty for eating it and my body feels sluggish and gross.
    By the age of 15 I could eat as much as my dad-TWO double quarter pounders with cheese and a large fry. Sometimes I'd eat a 10 piece chicken nuggets along with it. To make matters worse, I lived in the dorms for 4 years without the ability to easily make my own food. Working full time and going to school full time made it easy to just grab something.

Fast forward to now. I have drastically cut back the amount of fast food I eat. For me-breaking the habit meant replacing the bad habit with good habits. First, I've really been working on not being an emotional eater. It helps me to remind myself that the instant temporary reward of eating a double whopper is not worth missing out on my long term reward of reaching goal. Also, I try to remember how "icky" I'll feel after that double whopper. Second, If I really really want that double whopper with cheese-I'll eat it. This just means I won't get to eat for the rest of the day more than likely because I don't want to go over my calorie limit. This usually deters me because I don't want to starve for the rest of the day. Third, I try to choose lower calorie options that still gives me the "taste" of what I'm craving but doesn't kill my calorie count for the day. Fourth, Any time I know I'm going to be eating out I check the nutritional menu ahead of time and make a plan. This way I'm less likely to "binge" on that double whopper with cheese by sticking to my plan. I also have been planning ahead and taking lunches to work.

Another thing to consider is that if it really is something that you can't overcome it might be best to find another place to work. I know this isn't the easiest thing to do, you would lose out on pay if you aren't hired as a manager somewhere else, but it would be something I'd personally consider. Think longer term goals verses short term payoff.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Actually, fast food is not so bad. Eat two grilled chicken sandwiches, minus bun and sauce. Now you have a lean, high protein meal. No fries, diet soda.

I do suggest a different job though, I used to work with drug addicts, some were nurses, some were exotic dancers, many were bar tenders, and I told them, if they were serious about lifestyle changes, they needed to change their jobs. Very few who did not change their jobs were able to stay clean.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Is it a lack of self control or an actual addiction? Like would you kill for a whopper? Rob your grandmother for some french fries?

People use this food addiction excuse way to much. If you want to stop eating fast food then stop eating it.

I agree, but you know you'll probably get slated for your opinion!.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think you approach this like any other bad habit or addiction you wish to break.

Make a list of reasons why you want to stop. Make a list of reasons you'd continue the habit. See which outweighs the other.

Also, if convenience is a big part of your "addiction", make it inconvenient. Don't go in the direction of the place. Premake your meals on weekends, and have them in tupperware with you at all times. Buy some Quest bars (particularly nummy protein bars) or fruits and keep one in your purse/car/wherever to snack on if you get hungry, so you won't use "But I'm SO HUNGRY now" as an excuse.

Chew gum.

I frankly can't imagine being addicted to fast food. I eat the stuff a couple times a year under very specific circumstances, and afterwards I always feel weighted down and greasy. It's not a pleasant feeling. Maybe focus on how the food makes you feel, as opposed to how freshly made, nutritive dense food makes you feel?

Yep.

I'm with those who say it's not an addiction, which makes no sense at all, but just a bad habit. Plus if it was an addiction the answer would still be to just stop it.

But my guess it that it's about convenience and what your body is used to when hungry. I know when I let myself get really hungry I start craving stuff I don't normally. So just don't give in and have a plan for the day that is convenient and doesn't rely on fast food, so you don't have that but I am so hungry now and have nothing around to eat feeling. Once you stop giving in and build other habits your mind won't go there as the answer.

My thing was ordering food. It wasn't always the same food and not always even objectionable food from a calorie POV, which is why calling it an addiction seems silly, but it was "I'm tired and hungry and worked hard all day and just want something easy." Problem is that attitude could also be used to justify being more indulgent too, so it added up more and more.

Anyway, if you are finding a strong desire to go get fast food at certain times, it would probably be educational to log when and what's going on then and what excuses you are making, if you don't already see the underlying factors.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unless you were diagnosed by experienced health care professionals with an addiction of sorts then it is nothing more than a matter of choice and self-control.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    People are addicted to smoking. Would they kill for a cigarette or rob their grandmother for them?
    Food is an addiction for some people.
    Kill maybe not, but I had a relative stealing money from our grandmother to continue their smoking habit. It's not uncommon with teens to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    People can't be addicted to food. You need food to survive. This is not an addiction.

This is an eating disorder. Overeating.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In. For a thread that could have just been left to die. But it had to be resuscitated, to continue the age old argument of addiction.