thinking of intermittent fasting..

Options
I'd like to hear from some ladies on their experiences. I feel like I have plateaued and need a new direction.
I have been working out Mondays and Wednesday evenings with a fitness bootcamp from 5:30 to 6:30. And a personal trainer Saturday mornings. I do some running and lifting on my own, but not a religious schedule.
I do need to consider my significant other and his meals in the evenings, but work during the day so my meals are my own then.

(I am beyond reproductive years so that is not a concern)

So here's what I am thinking of doing after reading quite a bit of material.

Sunday eat normal up to 7:00 pm. Begin fast
Monday fast and normal workout. Eat at 7:00 pm
Tuesday eat normal up to 7:00 pm. Begin fast
Wednesday fast and normal workout. Eat at 7:00 pm
Thursday eat normal up to 7:00 pm. Begin fast
Friday fast and eat at 5:30 pm
Saturday work out am, eat normally
Sunday rest (or maybe a track workout) and eat normally up to 7:00pm

This means I would fast 3 days for 24 hours (I think I would like my "fast days" to be under 500 calories)

Does this seem do-able to those that practice IF?

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear from some ladies on their experiences. I feel like I have plateaued and need a new direction.
    I have been working out Mondays and Wednesday evenings with a fitness bootcamp from 5:30 to 6:30. And a personal trainer Saturday mornings. I do some running and lifting on my own, but not a religious schedule.
    I do need to consider my significant other and his meals in the evenings, but work during the day so my meals are my own then.

(I am beyond reproductive years so that is not a concern)

So here's what I am thinking of doing after reading quite a bit of material.

Sunday eat normal up to 7:00 pm. Begin fast
    Monday fast and normal workout. Eat at 7:00 pm
    Tuesday eat normal up to 7:00 pm. Begin fast
    Wednesday fast and normal workout. Eat at 7:00 pm
    Thursday eat normal up to 7:00 pm. Begin fast
    Friday fast and eat at 5:30 pm
    Saturday work out am, eat normally
    Sunday rest (or maybe a track workout) and eat normally up to 7:00pm

This means I would fast 3 days for 24 hours (I think I would like my "fast days" to be under 500 calories)

Does this seem do-able to those that practice IF?

Thanks for your input.

This will just be my opinion. I don't fast, and I personally don't believe in fasting.
    If this is a decision you decide to make, I would be careful. Working out and eating so few calories on your "fast" days may cause you trouble.

I would recommend rechecking your BMR/TDEE/ect, and see if your calories can be reduced. If you have plateaued, you are probably eating at maintenance, or not logging foods accurately and consuming more than your daily goal.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Just saw that your diary is open. Some days, you are netting under 1,200. Other days, you're going over. You're also logging solid items as "cups", which aren't accurate measurements. I would recommend buying a food scale, and to begin weighing your foods to the ounce or by grams. I'd also recommend lowering your weight loss goal per week. It seems you're eating at a 2lb/week loss. With 12lbs to go, you should be aiming for a .5lb/week loss.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of really informative IF groups on here - do a search and see what you think. One is JUDDD and I believe the other is under Intermittent fasting.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started fasting (on week 3) and it's what helped me break through my 6 week plateau. It's just a different way to create your weekly calorie deficit, and I personally find it much more manageable. I was expecting to really struggle on the fast days -- so much so in fact, that I put off trying it for a long time. But, after reading about the increases in insulin sensitivity (which I need as I'm insulin resistant) and the shift in IGF-2, I thought I'd give it a try. I find it shockingly manageable -- in fact I don't even get hungry until 3 pm or so.

I also do a 5:2 rather than a 4:3. That's the only thing I'd point out that starting 4:3 may be a little aggressive, but there are plenty that do that as well, so give it a try and if you find it too difficult, perhaps back it off to 5:2.