HRM-anyone know the difference between Male & female HRM's?

AnnaPixie
AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all

I'm just about to purchase a Polar F7 on ebay. But it states 'men's'.

I'm just wondering if the male and female versions are simply to do with watch dial size or if it might be something else like chest strap size, calorie calculations etc.

Anyone know the difference??

I LIKE male watches - so prefer the big dial, but obviously I'm female so wouldnt want it to be unsuitable in terms of function :noway:

Thanks in advance

Anna :bigsmile:

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Mine is black instead of PINK. Ug pink. Does everything have to be PINK? I would think it's considered a man's hrm, but I was able to set if for female.

Also, I bought a Sportline hrm at Wal-mart for under $30. You can get a man's style and then program it.
  • There is a specific calculation for Female HR so that may be what designates it a female. I actually just tweeted about this the other day It is:

New woman specific formula for finding max heart rate: 206-(your age x .88) Then that # x .65 for lower range and # x .85 for upper limit.

Hope it helps!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Its actually just the style of watch (mens a bigger face), the HRM will ask you gender when you set it up regardless of what you buy
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    mine is a guy's HRM too, it's just bigger than the tiny little girl ones...and its not pink...i'm with you edorice, why the hell does everything have to be pink! you set your own specs into the watch so it should calculate for you...I also agree with ImIvanstone, figure out what your heart rate is suppose to be as a female (I use 153 BPM) and then set that in your watch...good luck!
  • The female "face" is smaller and I imagine the wrist band can be tightened to be smaller. The chest band can expand large or small so that probably doesn't matter- I think they are generic.

I have bigger wrists and bought the female "pink" one- not the pink I would've chosen as it's kinda wimpy skin tone color but oh well. I find even with it being less bulky I sometimes worry that when doing push ups or having my wrist flexed I will push one of the buttons- granted it's never happened so that is probably unrealistic but I imagine the black one would've been even more bulky and bothersome.

My mom has a black one and loves it and she's smaller boned than me. But she doesn't do yoga or pushups and when I brought it up to her she'd never even thought of it. She's a runner and likes the bigger face because she doesn't run with her glasses on.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Thank you so much people. Some great points to consider :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.