need advice on meal replacments

iv been on and off diets for years now and this time im making a lifestyle change! but i made the mistake of going into gnc today with the intentiopns of just getting maybe a vitamin pack and some advice and ended up getting talked into 2 different meal replacment shakes vitamin packs and 2 kinds of chewable supplements.. (gnc total lean shake, gnc womens ultra mega max nutrition shake, amp womens ripped vitapak program, gnc total lean healthy metabolism soft chew, and gnc total lean cla soft chew)

the employee told me to take the vitapak in the morning with a shake 1 scoop of each shake mix (with almond milk) and eat a healthy lunch and take a shake at night with 2 sccops gnc total lean shake mix (with almond milk) and take to soft chew supplements when i feel like im starving for an extra boost.... my question is it this safe to take my first week back on track at the gym and dieting? and should it work?

thank you :)

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Why would you want to replace meals with anything, just eat food. Keep the vitamins and take the meal replacement crap back, seriously, just eat real food.

Rigger
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Is it safe to take? Yes.
    Is it needed? No.
    Should you take it all back to the store and get your money back? Yes.

I get my vitamins from Puritan's Pride online. I take a Men's multi-vitamin and fish oil each morning. I use Shakeology for my meal replacement shake, but it is expensive in its own right. I only like shakes when I don't have the time to make a real meal.

If you are just getting back into diet and exercise,do't go overboard on supplements. A meal replacement shake will not be as good as a healthy meal with real foods.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Take that rubbish back and get a refund.

Meal replacements are not a lifestyle change.

Eat real food that fits into your daily calories and read this link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    Hate to tell you that you're still "dieting" when you purchase meal replacements. They teach you nothing on how to correctly eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    I have liked doing a shake for breakfast (the last few months it's been GNC Lean 25) because I'm usually crunched for time and need protein because I exercise in the morning. But a multivitamin and fish oil are probably the only supplements you really need. And you do need actual food :)