C25K & Skin Irritation Help

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
So I started the c25k program. Since starting I am developing skin irritation problems. I think it is a combination from sweating and then my clothes rubbing against my skin; something i'm not really use to. I normally do my challenge in my shorts that go to my knees and a tshirt. Up until now I was walking at an inside track which is located at a skating rink so it was really cool during my walk. Now with the warmer weather I moved to their outside track so it is a lot warmer. I thought about running in a tang top but i'm outside and a little self conscious and worried what people will think or say. Any suggestions on what I can wear or do to fix this problem.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know what exactly you mean by skin irritation. Are you chafing? Or breaking out?

I tend to chafe a lot. Fitted clothing helps as does clothing with wicking properties. There are lots of places that sell this type of clothing very affordably, Walmart and Target both carry items. Avoid cotton. You can also use products like Body Glide, or even just vaseline, in places where you frequently chafe. Some people have success with powders, I don't, I sweat too much.
    There are only select shorts I can wear that won't cause chafing. A lot of people use running tights, either longer shorts or capris (I prefer the capris). If you are self conscious you can wear a pair of loose shorts over them.
    Wear the tank top. I despise running in a tshirt. I haven't seen anyone yet who I thought shouldn't wear a tank top.

If it is breaking out I would suggest changing right away.
  • Caper88
    Options
    It is a chafing problem
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I really like the compression pants/capris and tops from Old Navy - they're fitted enough that they don't allow skin to rub, but the tops I've bought have enough looseness in the belly area that I don't feel like I look like a sausage with legs. :laugh: And I'm all for running in a tank top - way better than anything with sleeves! I'm not out there to win a fashion show - I know I'm sweaty and pink no matter what clothes I'm wearing anyway. :happy:
  • Caper88
    Options
    I will definitely check the suggestions on the shorts. I guess I will try a tank fop tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm definitely not winning any fashion show with my workouts any time soon lol The chafing and little heat rash is driving me crazy. I didn't notice that it happened today until after the fact.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also wear capri style tights, but I wear a skirt over it. I'm modest anyway, and the skirt makes me chuckle to myself as I run.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Body glide is magical. Buy a stick and use it wherever you have chafing issues.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I used to chafe between my thighs when I was 250 lbs, just by walking. Now I'm running, sweating like a pig but there is no chafing. I'm so relieved, it can get very painful! Body Glide is an excellent product, I highly recommend it.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Body Glide.

Also make sure you change out of sweaty clothes and shower afterwards because sweat glands can become clogged and irritated.
  • Ruckus85
    Ruckus85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So I started the c25k program. Since starting I am developing skin irritation problems. I think it is a combination from sweating and then my clothes rubbing against my skin; something i'm not really use to. I normally do my challenge in my shorts that go to my knees and a tshirt. Up until now I was walking at an inside track which is located at a skating rink so it was really cool during my walk. Now with the warmer weather I moved to their outside track so it is a lot warmer. I thought about running in a tang top but i'm outside and a little self conscious and worried what people will think or say. Any suggestions on what I can wear or do to fix this problem.
    [/quote

I hate it when I'm running in shorts and my thighs run together, so I rub deordorante on each thigh, works awesome. They just slide on by after.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I wear moisture wicking shirts and running tights/capris. I could not find shorts that didn't either ride up or chafe, with or without compression underneath. I've occasionally had to use deodorant around my sports bras to avoid chafing, but that's rare.