Skin? I hate the word but .. saggy skin? Help?

Options
So i'm currently working with a trainer and it's only been a week with him but i'm definitly doing well. I know i have a lot to lose but the biggest fear of mine is getting that saggy skin that you need surgery to remove. I would rather be heavy or fat or whatever you wanna call it than have that excess skin. I know people have said that skin is better than fat but in my opinion it's really not and a huge discouragement in the weight loss process. My trainer told me to prevent the sagging skin he has me working with weights. But I've watched shows like extreem weightloss and ALL of them need surgery. I'm not sure if I have more in my favor because i'm 21 years old so i'm younger and my skin is still more elastic and i haven't been 100 pounds over weight for 10 years or more .. just about 2 - 5 i guess. Someone put my mind at ease please?!!!!! :)

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    So i'm currently working with a trainer and it's only been a week with him but i'm definitly doing well. I know i have a lot to lose but the biggest fear of mine is getting that saggy skin that you need surgery to remove. I would rather be heavy or fat or whatever you wanna call it than have that excess skin. I know people have said that skin is better than fat but in my opinion it's really not and a huge discouragement in the weight loss process. My trainer told me to prevent the sagging skin he has me working with weights. But I've watched shows like extreem weightloss and ALL of them need surgery. I'm not sure if I have more in my favor because i'm 21 years old so i'm younger and my skin is still more elastic and i haven't been 100 pounds over weight for 10 years or more .. just about 2 - 5 i guess. Someone put my mind at ease please?!!!!! :)
    I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I find a good key to increasing elasticity is to exfoliate often and keep moisturized. I just make a sugar scrub at home and use coconut oil to moisturize after I shower. I find it has reduced the small marks near my armpits from stretched out skin. Also, I find drinking A LOT of water is great for your skin's health and of course, you as a whole.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Lose the weight slowly...no more than 2 lbs/week. Make being healthy and feeling good your main goal. Lift weights the entire time you're losing. Everyone has different skin elasticity, but you're so young I think you've got a really good chance of not having much loose skin if you lose the weight slowly. The examples you've seen on TV have been of rapid, extreme weight loss. Your skin usually can't adjust to that kind of rapid loss very well. However, with 100 lbs to lose, it's always a possibility that your skin won't bounce back completely. Take it slow and keep in mind this isn't just for looks, it's for health and happiness too. Best wishes :)