Recommendations for finding macros?

Options
I would love to hear some recommendations for sites, calculators, guides, whatever for finding macros. I've tried some methods, but they all give different results!

I know about IIFYM, - it gives a number way different than here - says I should be eating 1952 cal a day as compared to MFPs 1670. Says I should be doing 40% carb, 35% protein, 25% fat

I have also done the suggestions on the link the guide to sexypants and it says 35% protein, 37% fat, and 28% carb. and a goal of 1806

So so far I have caloric goals of 1670, 1806, and 1952. Across the board, 35% protein seems to be agreed upon. But how much fat and carbs?

I guess I'm hoping if I can find multiple sites for calculators, then maybe I can use an average? I don't know what I am supposed to set my macros at!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    IIFYM includes exercise. MFP does not, so that is why there is the variation there. MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back. If done correctly, you will find that they end up in pretty much the same place when averaged over the week.

PIck one or go with an average of them, try it for several weeks - as in more than 2 or 3 - and re-evalutate. All of these are meant to be starting points. There isn't a huge difference between them (once you include exercise for MFP). See what works best for you.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with picking one and sticking with it. MFP calories count is high so make sure you verify them before adding to your diary.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You can calculate your own calorie goal if you'd like. If you'd like to use the MFP method where they don't include exercise calories in your calorie goal and you must add them as you do them, then just stick with whatever number MFP spits out when you enter your information. If you'd like to do the TDEE method, it's a matter of calculating your BMR, then multiplying by an activity multiplier to find your daily calorie goal. Bear in mind that if you use the TDEE method this includes exercise you do throughout the week in the calculation so when you do exercise you do not enter that into MFP if using that method. If you'd like to use the TDEE method, the calculations are as follows:

For Women...BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

Once you have your BMR, multiply that number by the appropriate activity multiplier that suits YOUR activity level:

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job & Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

For Macros, they are calculated as followed:

For dietary fat you should set your goal at 0.4g per lb of body weight. This goal is a minimum and it should be hit every day if not exceeded.

For protein you should set your goal at 0.82g per lb of body weight. This goal is a minimum and it should be hit every day if not exceeded.

For carbohydrates, once you have calculated your first two macro goals, you just fill the rest of your daily calories with carbohydrates and you're good to go.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I am supposed to set my macros at!

Unless you are highly active, it's just not that important. There is a wide range of macro ratios that is totally fine. Just stay away from the extremes and it's all good.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I am supposed to set my macros at!
    Unless you are highly active, it's just not that important.

1571a9g.jpg
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You can calculate your own calorie goal if you'd like. If you'd like to use the MFP method where they don't include exercise calories in your calorie goal and you must add them as you do them, then just stick with whatever number MFP spits out when you enter your information. If you'd like to do the TDEE method, it's a matter of calculating your BMR, then multiplying by an activity multiplier to find your daily calorie goal. Bear in mind that if you use the TDEE method this includes exercise you do throughout the week in the calculation so when you do exercise you do not enter that into MFP if using that method. If you'd like to use the TDEE method, the calculations are as follows:

For Women...BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

Once you have your BMR, multiply that number by the appropriate activity multiplier that suits YOUR activity level:

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job & Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

For Macros, they are calculated as followed:

For dietary fat you should set your goal at 0.4g per lb of body weight. This goal is a minimum and it should be hit every day if not exceeded.

For protein you should set your goal at 0.82g per lb of body weight. This goal is a minimum and it should be hit every day if not exceeded.

For carbohydrates, once you have calculated your first two macro goals, you just fill the rest of your daily calories with carbohydrates and you're good to go.

Regular body weight or lean mass?

If i do it with my regular weight I get 43% fat, 39% protein and 18% carbs (74 g) that seems really low on carbs?