Weight Lifting Noob

Options
So I've been a member of my gym for quite a while. I usually use the elliptical and occasionally go to the fitness machine area. I just read a thread about lifting light vs heavy, and my question is related, but only vaguely. Some people suggested StrongLifts 5x5 because it had pretty consistent positive results. I theoretically get how to do this, but it seems like the people doing free weights at the gym with the bells and bars and all are always in groups. I have no friends that go to my gym (my bffs all go to a gym that is inconveniently located for me).

How do people go about finding buddies at the gym? I don't know that I have enough confidence to just walk over to the free weight section and act like I know what I'm doing when I seriously don't. I've walked over there before and I feel really out of place. Am I alone in this feeling? Isn't it important to have someone to spot you and make sure you are using correct form? Or should I just brazen it out and try doing alone? I would really like to be using my gym time wisely.

Advice on this subject would be really great!

Replies

• teebarnes22
    teebarnes22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find it is just easy to walk up to someone and start a conversation. Your conversation will not always be welcomed but you will find that there is someone in the same situation as you look for a gym buddy. If your gym offers any group classes that's a great way of meeting people. Good luck....and happy lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    First off read the program
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

watch the videos and other videos on how to do the lifts. Then you will have some idea of what you are doing.

As for a woman in the free weight section of the gym eh...it is more and more common....you might get a look or two but I wouldn't worry about it.

As for spotters you shouldn't need on if the gym has a power rack...as for form watch the videos, watch in the mirrors and video yourself or ask someone for advice.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

watch the videos and other videos on how to do the lifts. Then you will have some idea of what you are doing.

As for a woman in the free weight section of the gym eh...it is more and more common....you might get a look or two but I wouldn't worry about it.

As for spotters you shouldn't need on if the gym has a power rack...as for form watch the videos, watch in the mirrors and video yourself or ask someone for advice.

This...all of this.

I started lifting 8 weeks ago and fell in love. I use Stronglifts like a guideline - I deload every 4 weeks even though the program isn't built like that. I really think between that and warmup reps it's really helped my progression. http://warmupreps.com/ - use Program 2.

I workout alone a lot. I recently started a new gym and a girl (who has done SL and is a much more advanced lifter than I offered to spot me if I ever need it)...The only one I would see where I would need a spotter is Bench Press, honestly, I've just been staying at 70# every time I do it until it gets easier and then I'll plan on moving up (that's my own preference just so I can continue working out alone since I don't always have someone with me, the other female lifter in the gym has a different day schedule than I do and I'd feel bad pulling her away from her own workout since she's training to compete. But I've seen people at the gym go up to people they don't know and ask for a spotter, most are more than happy to help.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have no female friends who go to my gym ( or lift on a consistent basis) and very few women use the free weight section of my gym. It doesn't matter! The guys are generally friendly and helpful and there to work out. If you are brand new to lifting and feel intimidated, it would probably be worth it to pay for a couple of sessions with a good personal trainer, who understands your objectives and can help you with correct form.

As for attending classes to make friends, I never see any of the people who go to the various classes in the free weight area of my gym. That may not be the same in other gyms, but I certainly would not let lack of a gym buddy stop you from lifting weights!

ETA: most people in the free weight area are happy to spot for you or help you in other ways. Just make sure not to interrupt them in the middle of a set(common sense).
  • charlton200
    charlton200 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check if you gym offers any help with programme set ups/teaching how to use the weights/machines. Mine does this at no extra cost, so I can get a new programme done every 8 weeks without cost. I did a session with a personal trainer though when I wanted to start free weights, which I found helped a lot.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

This...all of this.

I started lifting 8 weeks ago and fell in love. I use Stronglifts like a guideline - I deload every 4 weeks even though the program isn't built like that. I really think between that and warmup reps it's really helped my progression. http://warmupreps.com/ - use Program 2.

I workout alone a lot. I recently started a new gym and a girl (who has done SL and is a much more advanced lifter than I offered to spot me if I ever need it)...The only one I would see where I would need a spotter is Bench Press, honestly, I've just been staying at 70# every time I do it until it gets easier and then I'll plan on moving up (that's my own preference just so I can continue working out alone since I don't always have someone with me, the other female lifter in the gym has a different day schedule than I do and I'd feel bad pulling her away from her own workout since she's training to compete. But I've seen people at the gym go up to people they don't know and ask for a spotter, most are more than happy to help.

How many reps are you doing at 70 pounds? If you're worried about this (I am, so I understand), try to up the reps every time you bench. Instead of adding 5 pounds like suggested in SL, add a rep, then add another, until you hit 10. Then up the weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This...all of this.

How many reps are you doing at 70 pounds? If you're worried about this (I am, so I understand), try to up the reps every time you bench. Instead of adding 5 pounds like suggested in SL, add a rep, then add another, until you hit 10. Then up the weight.

5x5...your idea sounds awesome and like something I am definitely going to try! Thank you!!!
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I suspect that people will approach you in the weight room. My gym "friends" all approached me when I was new. They don't do this on day one but after some time of seeing you every day people are curious and will ask what program your are doing, what your goals are etc... It helps if you go at a consistent time each day or on the same days for the week for this to happen. I now try to friend new people as I know it helps.