What do yall think?

Options
I want to lose around 20 pounds...is it quicker to lose weight by running or strenght training. I've always been a fan of the Firm which are DVD's that provide an hour of strength training and aerobics but I know that I have heard that running is the best exercise. Any advice?

Replies

• luvs2havefun
    Options
    I want to lose around 20 pounds...is it quicker to lose weight by running or strenght training. I've always been a fan of the Firm which are DVD's that provide an hour of strength training and aerobics but I know that I have heard that running is the best exercise. Any advice?
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Gotta do the cardio thing for weight loss and the strength training thing to build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, but burns calories more too. Do both. I love the multi-tasking videos, but I also walk, do the elliptical and do toning and strength training exercises. If you like to run, run. I don't because of bad knees. Lots of people do. Most important is that whatever you do, love it.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

ambiguous question ucf.

It's not as easy to answer it as that. It depends on what type of strength training you are doing, how vigorous your running will be, your body type, how often you are doing these things...etc.

As a rule, you should do both if you are already in relatively decent shape because running is cardio, and cardio burns lots o calories, but strength training builds muscle, and muscle raises the metabolism permenantly (while the muscle is there at least). The percentage of each? Well, that is really up to you, but most people would do 2 days cardio, 2 days strength, with a circuit stuck in the middle to utilize both. (I.E. legs and core monday, run tuesday, circuit wednesday, upper and core thursday, run friday, sat and sunday off to recover)
    this is what I do except I actually run on saturday as well (I actually enjoy the running so it's no big deal for me).
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options

ambiguous question ucf.

It's not as easy to answer it as that. It depends on what type of strength training you are doing, how vigorous your running will be, your body type, how often you are doing these things...etc.

As a rule, you should do both if you are already in relatively decent shape because running is cardio, and cardio burns lots o calories, but strength training builds muscle, and muscle raises the metabolism permenantly (while the muscle is there at least). The percentage of each? Well, that is really up to you, but most people would do 2 days cardio, 2 days strength, with a circuit stuck in the middle to utilize both. (I.E. legs and core monday, run tuesday, circuit wednesday, upper and core thursday, run friday, sat and sunday off to recover)
    this is what I do except I actually run on saturday as well (I actually enjoy the running so it's no big deal for me).

By "circuit" do you mean that you use the weight equipment at the gym?
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    What a question! The answer is pretty individual though as it depends on what you like to do, how much time you have, what you are eating and when, etc, etc I think.
    What I'd suggest is the idea of long, lengthy periods (30 min-90min) walking fast. This is because the body will burn fat rather thanthe sugars and carbs in your body.
    Example: when I run I burn about 70%-80% sugars in my body while what I want to do is burn the fat. OK, running is great to burn calories but those calories you are going to have to put back into your body in general while the fat you burned comes from the stored fat that your body can do with out.get going on strength training activities, running everything, whatever because it is all good.
    For us on MFP, burning calories is ONE thing we are doing, and in the long run works, but if you burn calories and at the same time burn fat rather than consume your bodies other components you will lose fat even faster :smile:
    But for fat burning try fast walking OR other aerobic activities that keep your heart rate up BUT not too much (for you this means keeping your heart rate probably up at around 110 beats per minute; for me it's around 120).
    This was a fast and dirty version of a pretty complex business; I hope it was clear.
    Good luck!
    Thomas
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm NO expert but my friend's hubby is a trainer and he recs cardio if u really need to loose weight, then add strengh training
    Since you only have 20 to loose, I would concentrate on cardio with some strength training on the side

Kim
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight quicker, you just need to increase your calorie deficit. I'm surprised that no one mentioned this in their earlier responses.

If you burn 400 calories doing cardio, MFP suggests that you eat those 400 calories. So you won't lose weight any quicker, but you will get to eat more.

If you do increase your calorie deficit (and I'm not recommending that you do), I will add that running makes me pretty darn hungry, and I definitely eat all the calories I burn. But I'm not running to lose weight fast. I'm running to RUN FAST!

Weight training will increase your metabolism without making you feel famished at the end of a workout. I suggest doing weight-training and fairly easy cardio (e.g. walking) if you do decide to increase your calorie deficit to lose weight faster. That's how I jump-started my weight loss 6 years ago: weights, walking and eating one dessert with dinner instead of 2, and no 3 AM pizza. :blushing:
  • luvs2havefun
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    According to my Bio prof lifting weights increases your metabolism more which makes you lose more weight....but both are beneficial!

JMHO....

zen

Go Banks! :drinker: