Average person does not exercise hard enough

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    New York Times is not a reliable source of scientific evidence.
    There are lots of good studies with peer reviewed journal papers showing even 5 minutes of walking 3-4 times a day is beneficial, especially for those with diabetes, heart disease or obesity.

The article reviewed a peer-reviewed journal paper, and followed up with remarks from the study author. They didn't just make it up.

And the guidelines referenced in the story are the consensus guidelines of government and national health and fitness organizations, which are also based on peer-reviewed articles.

And, furthermore, the consensus guidelines specifically state that exercise minutes need not be done at all once, but can be accumulated several workouts.

Seriously, did you even read the article, the study, or the original post?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I consider vigorous to be running V02 MAX stuff, mile repeats, HIIT with HR above 185. Pretty much anything that makes you feel like you're about to pass out.

And damn, the results it gives you!
  • moautry
    moautry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you are being too judgmental and may not know under what circumstances a person is working out the way they are. I’m one of those fat, lazy old, bastrds that is not sweating like a pig, and I use the elliptical. Because of a heart condition, my doctor says to keep my heart rate under 120, because of a knee replacement already done, and a hip replacement coming up and four surgeries on my foot to remove cancer tumors, I use the elliptical. Because I’m fat and old and wish to last a few more years to enjoy my grandchildren, I follow my doctor’s orders. I’m sorry I don’t meet the standards of all of you perky little pets, but I have lost 70 pounds, with 80 pounds to go.

The elliptical is ideal for people like you. Good for you for all your hard work and accomplishments in the face of such difficulties. But many of us could go at it a little harder.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    New York Times is not a reliable source of scientific evidence.
    There are lots of good studies with peer reviewed journal papers showing even 5 minutes of walking 3-4 times a day is beneficial, especially for those with diabetes, heart disease or obesity.

The article reviewed a peer-reviewed journal paper, and followed up with remarks from the study author. They didn't just make it up.

And the guidelines referenced in the story are the consensus guidelines of government and national health and fitness organizations, which are also based on peer-reviewed articles.

And, furthermore, the consensus guidelines specifically state that exercise minutes need not be done at all once, but can be accumulated several workouts.

Seriously, did you even read the article, the study, or the original post?

The authors' conclusion is more critical of the descriptions used to define moderate and vigorous activity than the participants' exercise activity. The participants were not wearing HRM's and were using subjective descriptors for activity levels provided by governments.

The NYT author seems to indicate that people were at fault for not exercising hard enough. I read the study as "they followed the advice of the govt. guidelines but the guidelines don't match the actual effort."

If you read the guidelines there are examples of moderate activity such as gardening or washing/waxing a car. I may do things differently than others but I certainly don't get my heart rate up when doing either of those activities, unless I am digging or hoeing.

I think the guidelines should be centered around heart rate and teaching people to take pulse and read a watch as opposed to some subjective criteria.