Am I losing too fast?

Hi! I'm new to the forums though I've used MFP on and off for a couple of years. This is my first time really doing it "by the books" though (following all the wonderful advice presented in the newbie threads).

Anyway, I'm a 5'4" female, 37 yo and started tracking on June 4 at 160lbs. It's been 11 days and I've already lost 5.5 lbs. this seems way too fast right? I've got MFP set at 0.5lb per week since I only had 25ish lbs to lose and I just got my Fitbit zip a few days ago to track my activity. I've been eating back a portion of those calories added back through activity.

Could it just be water weight and the loss will slow down? Thoughts?

I'm tired if the yo-yo roller coaster and want to do it right this time. Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

Replies

• alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    It's not uncommon to lose a lot the first week although 11 is a little more that typical, i think. Just try to not to be discouraged if part of that comes back after your body adjusts! Based on your diary you are eating plenty of calories so I don't think it's a case of unhealthily too-fast weight loss, unless you are exercising like a madwoman.

How much are you exercising?

Also, I know maybe not your favorite thing, but you are pretty vegetable-deficient :( you need vitamins!! Maybe try to add some in to a smoothie or something?

Edit for grammar
  • bcjag76
    bcjag76 Posts: 5 Member
    It's not uncommon to lose a lot the first week although 11 is a little more that typical, i think. Just try to not to be discouraged if part of that comes back after your body adjusts! Based on your diary you are eating plenty of calories so I don't think it's a case of unhealthily too-fast weight loss, unless you are exercising like a madwoman.

Also, I know maybe not your favorite thing, but you are pretty vegetable-deficient :( you need vitamins!! Maybe try to add some in to a smoothie or something?

Edit for grammar

I lost 5.5lbs not 11, but it still is a lot! I knew someone would see the lack of veggies, lol!! I'm not a veggie lover and I have a supplement I use on occasion (though not every day). I was on the Eat to Live plan about a year and a half ago and ate my weight in veggies every day. I've now got an aversion haha! I am working on it though and will try to up them ;)

Thank you!

[edit] Oh, the exercise! I forgot. I walk about 45 min with purpose and just try to get my steps in (10,000 goal) throughout the rest of the day. That's it. I plan to throw in some strength training once I'm in a comfortable routine where I am now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    trust me, that degree of weight loss will taper out, and you'll soon find yourself losing a frustratingly small amount of weight each week.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Hi! I'm new to the forums though I've used MFP on and off for a couple of years. This is my first time really doing it "by the books" though (following all the wonderful advice presented in the newbie threads).

Anyway, I'm a 5'4" female, 37 yo and started tracking on June 4 at 160lbs. It's been 11 days and I've already lost 5.5 lbs. this seems way too fast right? I've got MFP set at 0.5lb per week since I only had 25ish lbs to lose and I just got my Fitbit zip a few days ago to track my activity. I've been eating back a portion of those calories added back through activity.

Could it just be water weight and the loss will slow down? Thoughts?

I'm tired if the yo-yo roller coaster and want to do it right this time. Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

You usually lose the quickest in the first two weeks........why I have know idea but I've lost over 3 pounds in 7 days on here but that was the first week. :/ Good luck to you!
  • Rabid_Hamster
    Rabid_Hamster Posts: 338 Member
    The first week is very normal. Part of it is water weight. After the first, maybe into the second week, it levels off to more of what your MFP trend is set at (provided you stick to it.) Bear in mind, this is assuming no medications are influencing your outcome.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Ah, yeah, sorry I misread. 5.5 is pretty typical, I did that and my stats are similar. Like I said, just don't get too discouraged when it slows down or some of it comes back (I'm preaching to myself as much as you!) Good luck with your goals.
  • bcjag76
    The first week is very normal. Part of it is water weight. After the first, maybe into the second week, it levels off to more of what your MFP trend is set at (provided you stick to it.) Bear in mind, this is assuming no medications are influencing your outcome.

Definitely no medications involved. I don't even like to take Tylenol ;)
  • Diet242
    Diet242 Posts: 21 Member
    I lost 5 pounds right off the bat as well, about 10 days in. I assume some of it was water weight. Now I am at a steady 2lbs a week and the weight didn't come back. I went from 160 down to 157 then 155 at first, but then it slowed to 2lbs so far last week. I don't think it's a problem, just a little water weight :smile:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member

Edit for grammar

Eating veggies has nothing to do with weight loss.

Losing a lot in the first few weeks is typical (water weight I would think). Track your weight for another month or 2 doing what you're doing to see an average for actual weight loss over a longer period of time.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Sounds like your body did the initial dump of water weight, fluid, etc. that many dieters experience. No matter what, it's great that your body is responding to the positive changes!

Best of luck to you!
  • bcjag76

Edit for grammar

Eating veggies has nothing to do with weight loss.

Losing a lot in the first few weeks is typical (water weight I would think). Track your weight for another month or 2 doing what you're doing to see an average for actual weight loss over a longer period of time.

I know eating veggies has nothing to do with weight loss but it does improve health. I really do need to eat more veggies...it's something I've always struggled with :)