Walking or Running: What is better?

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through the responses so I don't know if it's been said already but investing in a good pair of running shoes makes a world of difference especially bigger guys like us. When I first started, I just did walking and it sucked. Everything hurt. I chalked it up to being unfit and extremely overweight but then I saw pictures of people close to my size that were running. I did my research and found out about running shoes. I looked into it and found that motion control/stability type shoes worked best for me being the size I was. They usually are clunky with thick soles but I don't care. Walking no longer hurt anymore! I recommend going to a running specialty store and getting fitted. They will be able to determine a good shoe for you to wear. Even if you will be walking at first and not run right away, it really does help.
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Get a Fit Bit. It will track your steps and if you sync it with MFP, will add calories burned back to your daily allowance automatically. You therefore have complete visibility to what you are burning by walking.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You burn just as much walking 3 miles as you do running it. It just takes you longer to get that burn because you are walking. I run 3 miles in 29 minutes and walk 3 miles in 60 minutes and my calorie burner comes out with the same number. So in essence you are burning calories faster when you run. I would suggest you starting out walking. It's much easier on your joints. No worries...enjoy and smell the roses while you're at it! :)

Best of luck!

Table A: Calories Burned Per 1-Mile Walk vs 1-Mile Run For A 156-lb Subject

WALK* RUN**
    CALS/MILE 88.9 112.5
    CALS/MINUTE 4.78 11.25
    AFTER-BURN/MILE 21.7 46.1
    NEW TOTAL/MILE 110.6 158.6
    CALS/MINUTE 5.95 15.86
    * one mile walk in 18:36; ** one mile run in 10:00

Table A from Runner's World article; burning calories walking or running depends on BW and cadence. When somebody is running 10 minute miles they are burning more calories then when they walk 3 MPH for the same distance.

OP--to start, walking is great. Low impact, builds your cardio. As your weight drops you can decide if you want to challenge your body to more strenuous workouts.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wow, and still the posts about walking being a stepping stone to running (or some other "better" form of activity) persist.

Not every activity needs to have an increased VO2Max as it's goal... just sayin'
  • MJZO
    MJZO Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been losing by walking 6 days a week/2-4 miles each day on average. Today I jogged for about 50 yards at 340lbs. It wasn't so much the physical exertion or any pain that was bothersome, but simply trying to get my brain to make my legs to jog. It seems odd as it should be natural, but at this weight it is an unnatural feeling movement. I intend to slowly increase though, but walking has done wonders thus far.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i prefer walking. if you have a smart phone, download the app "runkeeper or mapmywalk". uses your phone's gps to calculate time and distance. i love it. don't rely on it for accurate calories burned though, get yourself a heart rate monitor (polar ft4) this will give you a accurate calorie burn. also, you can try the elleptical machine if you have access to one. i love the elleptical. a great workout and very low impact. i hate the hard feeling on my joints, etc. that's why i don't run. i also weight train 2 days a week. good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me you burn as many calories running a mile as you do walking it at a mile...

Your doctor is wrong - running is a much different bio-mechanical movement, and requires more power. It adds about twice as many burn calories per mile as does walking.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Choose what you like more. It doesn't matter which one is better if you end up not sticking to it. If you like it, you'll do it. Leave optimization for later on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The thing about exercise is you have to take into account your activity level. You said you hurt yourself when you tried running before, so I would suggest walking challenges that don't hurt your body. As you lose weight and gain endurance, and find that your body hurt less, you an try adding jogging in for small intervals. Always work your way up.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Barefoot foot strengthening exercises, and barefoot aerobics, have built up my running capacity. I would start with some basic arch strengthening (slowly raising and lowering yourself on the balls of your feet) and balance exercises, like standing holding onto a chair and using the toes of one foot to move imaginary pencils from a few inches in front of you to a few inches off to the side. Really squeeze the imaginary pencils in your toes and when you drop them, try to fan your toes out as big as you can. Small intense movements build up the small muscles that support you when you walk and run. The first time I did it I felt muscles I never knew I had. Good luck!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi there OP,

You already have lots of good replies and lots to consider. A few years back I started the C25K program and I weighed about 330 at the time. When I was running, it was really, really slow – some watching me might not have even thought I was running, but I definitely was. ;) I think it is a great program and if a week is too challenging you can repeat it. At 300 pounds I was able to run a 5K, and even though I came in last, it was a great experience. Since that time I have gained weight back plus more and probably wouldn't yet try running (I'm 366 now), but hoping to in a few months try C25K again. :)

Whatever you do, do what feels right. I totally agree that walking is great – there is just something about running that is exciting to me. ;)

Have fun!

Amy
  • melissawith3sons
    melissawith3sons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whether you choose to run or walk , I would highly recommend purchasing a great, comfortable pair of tennis shoes.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OP - Define 'Better' .........
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    OP - when I was your weight (more actually, at 340) I started walking and when walking became unchallenging, I began the c25k program. I started it when I was 290 pounds. I'm not advising you to wait to lose weight before beginning a running routine, just sharing my experience basically to let you know that the "you can't run at your weight" crowd isn't absolutely right. First and foremost pay attention to your injuries/aches/pains and scale back accordingly.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Yeah, I'm going to say no.

Truth is: the best exercise regime is, what you:

a) are able to do,

b) like to do,

c) will stick with.

Getting moving is good. Walking is a quality, low impact movement and has a lot to recommend it. There's nothing wrong with going for a run either.... but at 300lbs, walking is where you should be placing your emphasis.

Get moving and enjoy it!
    [/quote]

This guy said it ^^^^^

All I have to add, is that I recommend a solid pair of shoes. Nothing will sabotage exercise faster than the wrong footwear! Go to a specialty running store and let them watch you walk and help fit you for the right pair of shoes. Your running will be more successful, and you'll be ready to transition to running later as you feel ready. Focus on doing SOMETHING every day, and try to enjoy it! Good luck to you! :)
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    High-impact exercise puts stress on your joints if you have a lot of weight on you. Walking on hilly terrain is a good way to get your heart rate up and burn a lot of calories.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Walking vs. running really depends on what you're looking for. Running does burn more calories and is good cardio, but it's hard on the joints. If you're having problems with that, walking is probably good for now. You still burn calories and get exercise in walking, and it puts less stress on your joints.
  • tuaam
    tuaam Posts: 5
    Options
    You burn just as much walking 3 miles as you do running it. It just takes you longer to get that burn because you are walking. I run 3 miles in 29 minutes and walk 3 miles in 60 minutes and my calorie burner comes out with the same number. So in essence you are burning calories faster when you run. I would suggest you starting out walking. It's much easier on your joints. No worries...enjoy and smell the roses while you're at it! :)

Best of luck!
  • tuaam
    tuaam Posts: 5
    Options
    Walking is best if you are older or overweight. I am 66 and when I was younger I would Jog, but now I walk and job a bit for short distances. I find myself enjoying the walking and wish I had done it all my life. I still remember all the excuses I would make to avoid running, but with walking I look forward to it, specially since I live close to the beach and can walk on the boardwalk. You do burn as many calories for the same distance and your body doesn't take a beating. Get an ipod and listen to your favorite music. Enjoy the music, scenery and even the rain if you are in a tropical area.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You do burn as many calories for the same distance and your body doesn't take a beating.

Can you please explain why you think this?

I posted some research above that appear to show that it's not true..