Starvation mode.... a case study

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnnyminiiiiii
    Options
    There are such things as fat anorexics...it's not about the aperance that makes you "anorexic" it's the mind frame..and I'm personally offended by that statement being I suffered from an eating disorder and at 138 pounds and being 5'4..I would have been considered a "fat anorexic"
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There are such things as fat anorexics...it's not about the aperance that makes you "anorexic" it's the mind frame..and I'm personally offended by that statement being I suffered from an eating disorder and at 138 pounds and being 5'4..I would have been considered a "fat anorexic"

well I've learned on here it is impossible to ever share an opinion or life experience without offending someone, no matter how good the intentions are. I am who I am and I won't apologize for that, because i'm a good person and purposely hurt no one. I will however, say I'm sorry if you are offended. Obviously if you read the whole post, you are taking one sentence and blowing it out of proportion, because it is a sensitive and real problem for you and I'm sorry about that. I meant no offense to any Ethiopians either. They were just points of emphasis. Finally, I have never heard of any anorexic being fat. It runs totally counter to all of my experiences with my dealings with mental illness and nutrition, so I did not even consider the existence of such a thing.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    the point that is trying to be made here is do what you feel is best to achieve weightloss for you without worrying about this "mythical" starvation mode taking over. i do not calorie count but i eat one meal a day, watch the amount of fat and sugar i eat.. i eat super foods like apples and berries. take natural fiber supplement and walk daily. i am not trying to get ripped and i certainly dont feel like i am starving. my weight is coming off nicely for a 40 year old woman
  • MalayanTiger
    Options
    If you can't get going on your own, then go talk to a professional who can help you work through your issues.

I did forget to mention that I've been seeing a holistic therapist for a year now. She doesn't believe in psychoactive drugs, so she doesn't make me pop pills. She's helped me tremendously, thus far!

Thanks for all your advice, jmangini! It is sound!
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    the point that is trying to be made here is do what you feel is best to achieve weightloss for you without worrying about this "mythical" starvation mode taking over. i do not calorie count but i eat one meal a day, watch the amount of fat and sugar i eat.. i eat super foods like apples and berries. take natural fiber supplement and walk daily. i am not trying to get ripped and i certainly dont feel like i am starving. my weight is coming off nicely for a 40 year old woman

sounds like we are very similar. everyone is different with a different metabolism. I just weighed in and lost another pound. My strength is the same, my energy is increased and I am keeping my muscle. This myth is definitely debunked in my mind now for sure.
  • TheBadToe
    TheBadToe Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    three low calorie/high nutrient meals per day... and I lift fairly heavily. I have not experienced this starvation mode.
  • Senay2002
    Senay2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think the term you are using "starvation mode" does not relate to the famine 30 years ago in Ethiopia.at that time people at certain regions of the country did not have food to eat for weeks because it did not rain and there was no harvest. so a million people died from not eating. being said that " most" Ethiopians are healthy because of their diet compromise whole grains and vegetables( for religion reasons Christians in Ethiopia go fasting about 250 days out of the year by becoming vegan), with little meat; and walk to most places. But i am not sure what happens if you eat less than what your BMR is.