STRONG LIFTS 5X5 BEGINNER I HAVE QUESTIONS?

Options
I'm going to start doing strong lifts on monday and just had some questions and need some advice / help here is some of my back ground info I've been lifting ineffectively for 3 years due to poor diet and my coach just not really knowing how to train me ( i'm part of a d3 program in my college) I currently weigh 238 my starting weight was 250 and I want to weigh 180 I want to lose fat AND built muscle at the same time. I do high intensity cardio 6x a week for 60 min I take classes in my gym (cycling, zumba cardio blast, cardio kickboxing)

1)since I'm adding strength training/weight lifting to my regimen should I cut back on the cardio? or is cardio at that intensity 6x a week ok plus strength training monday wednesday friday?

2) is it ok for me to drink whey protein before I workout (I have been doing so but not that long) or is whey only for people who do not have body fat to lose. in other words is drinking whey going to prevent me from losing weight or will it make me gain weight in fat

3) also when doing the 5x5 exercises how much rest should I take in between reps?

4) also my calorie range on MFP is 2,060 but I usually eat about 1,500-1,600 daily should I actually start eating around 2,000 now or can I stick to what I've been doing

5) any other advice is appreciated as well thanks ! :)

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I would definitely cut back on the cardio. You will be exhausted, but you also won't really need it. I have been lifting for several months, but I just started the SL program. I have cut cardio back to 2 Zumba classes per week. You should rest at least 48 hours in between lifts, but I actually needed 3 days after the last one because I was so sore. I usually have carbs and a little protein before the workout and a protein shake after. Of course, I am no expert. This is just what has been working for me, and I am losing about 1 pound per week. Good luck!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    1) I would. What you're doing is beyond what you need to do get most of the health benefits, and you may find it will inhibit your recovery once the weights get heavy.

2) Protein supplements are for people who don't get enough protein otherwise. The timing won't make a big difference. A calorie surplus will cause you to gain weight, not protein supplements.

3) As much as you need, if you meant between sets.

4) Your calories seem low in relation to your bodyweight. I would consider increasing slightly.

5) Be consistent.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you add something in and you already do a lot of other training, then something must come out. We cannot operate a 110% as much as coaches and some would have us think. All we have is 100%.

If you're using a method of calculating your calories that you trust then why aren't you eating what it says to eat? Definitely start eating there and see what happens, you can always adjust from there. Personally, I would use a BMR or TDEE approach over MFP's calc.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    1) On that few calories, you're gonna struggle including both. I cut back on cardio when I first started the program, but now I'm doing 5x5 AND teaching swim lessons, don't have a choice...so I eat everything. Like, literally anything in the kitchen I can eat I am eating.

2) Whey protein has no bearing on whether you get fat or not unless you are going over your calories, which you aren't even meeting your required calories... So no it won't make you fat.

3) The program lays that out for you. Follow it to a T when you first start out, and then you can figure it out on your own. But don't take less than 90 seconds. 90 seconds if your set was easy, 3 mins if your set was hard, 5 mins if you fail a rep. Don't make the mistake of underestimating how important rest is when you are lifting, this isn't cardio. I took 4+ mins rest between sets when I was stalled on my overhead presses and finally hit the 5x5 on it.

4) Eat more.

5) Follow the program. Don't screw around with it when you first start. Follow it, give it like 6-8 weeks to get comfortable, and realize you might not see any losses at first. You might even gain a little from holding onto more water weight.
  • vvancol_rose
    vvancol_rose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!! in terms of my caloric intake it's honestly not even me purposely trying to not meet them to stay under . I just happen to buy the foods I like and measure out the serving sizes and when I actually think I AM eating at least 2,000 it just never works out that way by the end of the day. I think it's because I am eating foods that make me feel full a lot of the time instead of the empty calorie junk I would usually eat with loads of calories and binge and I try and drink at least 2 cups of water before I eat each meal and snack so those are probably the reasons I don't make it to 2,000
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1) go by your what you're body tells you. but you'll more than likely discover that as you increase your weight you'll have to make a bigger balancing act between eating at a deficit, strength training and cardio. just keep in mind that you dont need to do cardio to lose fat. it also depends on what you're used to. so if you're used to running then you might be able to get away with an easy run on your off days. just stay away from stuff like HIIT and kickboxing on your off days because you'd essentially be working your muscles in the same way. one things i do recommend though is getting in a pool and doing a gentle water aerobics class or some other type of splashy-splash "workout".

2.as long as it fits in your calorie goals and macros then timing doesnt matter

3. that's hard to say, but at the beginning when the weights arent that difficult just take enough time to catch your breath. once you start lifting to closer to your personal max, you'll find that you might need a few minutes rest before you can do another set.

4.eat your food. you're going to need it.

5.take before pictures. dont let naysayers get you down, especially those who will try and tell you that strength training will make you bulky. i once was told that by a trainer at my gym and i told he was right that strength training bulked me all the way down from size 24 pants to a size 14 pants :laugh:
  • Josh_2099
    Josh_2099 Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have just started as well. I have cut back one running day and (changed it out for a 5x5 day). So I run twice a week and either bike/swim/roller-blade on the weekends. I get to bed early to get enough rest. I do have a rest day.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Congratulations on starting strong lifts! I am doing the same program and when I started I had the same questions as you do.
    After much research, I figured out a good system:
    Day 1: strong lifts + low intensity cardio right after( like walking on treadmil) 30-45 min, this is beneficial because it eliminates any lactic acid buildup. Plus, after lifting you deplete the glycogen and during the low intensity you will burn fat. Make sure to keeps good pace during your walk and keep your heart rate at about 50-60% of your max.
    Day 2: no lifting- high intensity interval training- 30 min MAX. You have to give it100% during the high intensity. No cheating. I found
    a great hiit program that works any fitness level- it's free and you can check it out here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

Depending on your needs and time you can include some relaxing low intensity before or after hiit. Personally, I enjoy yoga because I always feel "fixed" after the class; but if your short on time, feel free to just do hiit.
    Day 3: same as day 1 ( except you do the other workout in the strong lift 5x5)
    Day 4: same as day 2
    Day 5: same as day 1 and 3
    Now you have 2 days off that can be fit between these days how ever you want, just make sure not to lift 2 days in a row. I do a Monday through Friday workout schedule and take off the week-end to just live fully and let my body recover.

The best advice I can give you for now, is to take it easy: when you work out you should feel like its hard and your giving your body a good workout but after you're done, you should feel like it was easy and this is crucial because you need that feeling that you can conquer the world and do it again tomorrow !

As far as rest is concerned take 1 min and half - if the set was easy to complete
    3 min if it was difficult
    5 min if you feel like you barely made it.
    The trick with rest is always take as much as you need to make sure you complete your next set.

As far as calories are concerned you should eat at the recommended amount because that way your metabolism will not slow down. We are humans so we will slip up, undeating or overeating, use two sime rules:
    Try to never eat under 1200 -1250 cal a day!!!!!!( that is after exercise calories get taken out)
    When you overeat check out the weekly tab and just try to stay at your weekly caloric goal.

Any more questions, feel free to contact me!
  • Johnny760
    Options
    I'm going to start the strong lifts 5x5 program in two weeks and I had similar questions. Thanks everyone.