Options
2»

Replies

• JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS!
    http://mommyondemand.com/healthy-copycat-applebees-oriental-chicken-salad/

I only made her dressing and I skipped the mustard (yuk)
    I made a Greek salad with chicken and almonds topped with this yummo dressing!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt dips now for salad dressing. Usually 25-35 cals for 2 tbsp. put dip in closed container with salad. Shake the crap out of it and voila, dressed salad.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with the Newman's Own light dressings. Intense flavors and none of that funny aftertaste you get with some low-fat dressings. I'm a big fan of the Asian Sesame, but the variations on Italian aren't bad. I keep a bottle around since I eat tons of salad, but usually I just make my own with oil, vinegar or citrus juice and various spices. I use .5 TB on a good-sized side salad, 1 TB on a huge meal salad, so it's not a big deal.
  • stephanieblay
    Options
    Bolthouse yogurt dressings 2 tablespoons is 45 calories, my favorite is the honey mustard
  • missvie
    missvie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Generally i just use 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
    and 3 tsps grainy dijon which tastes great and is like 30 calories

I have started pinning some marinades and dressings for more variety

http://www.pinterest.com/misvie/marinades-and-dressings/
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't like sweet tasting dressings. I usually just use less and select the Ranch or Blue Cheese.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Try vinaigrettes. They are usually lower calorie and come in all kinds of flavors. I like raspberry and Caesar vinaigrettes. What kinds of dressings do you like?

I usually like ranch, ceasar, italian. None of the fancy stuff lol

Newman's Lite Italian is actually not that bad and only like 70 calories a serving.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like a dash of balsamic vinegar on my salad. Sometimes I'll do a few tablespoons of salsa. Both are low-calorie, but pack a lot of flavor. When I reach for an actual bottle of salad dressing, I like the Maple Grove sugar free Raspberry Vinaigrette (also very low calorie, but lots of flavor).
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Kraft Fat Free Ranch. 35g for 50 calories. If you want more, you can also water it down a little bit. You get all the flavor and still get to "smother" your salad in ranch.

Also, you can order Olive Garden dressing on Amazon. Not 100% sure about the cals but I think it's like 70 or 80 and they have a light verson of it too.

ETA: Kraft Fat Free Zesty Italian is only 15 cals for 30g.
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i love salad too. one of my favorites is to take a can of beans, a can of corn and 1 1/2 cups of salsa and mix it all together. then i just split that into 4ths and use it for a couple days. plus, if still want a creamy dressing i use the fat free wishbone ranch. it ends up going a lot further since i use the salsa also, because it thins it out, and i don't notice the off flavor from it being a "diet" version because of the salsa also. its a really great flavor and makes for a delicious and hearty salad.

eta: i forgot to say i put the corn and bean mix in my salad, that's not the whole salad. i bought a weeks worth of dole iceberg salad mixes and just use one regular sized bag per salad with one serving of my bean and corn mix and one serving of ranch. i added avocado to it today too. its yummy.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse yogurt dressings 2 tablespoons is 45 calories, my favorite is the honey mustard

I agree with the above! I love salads so I eat them just about every day for lunch. I just discovered the Bolthouse Ceasar Parmigiano Yogurt Dressing and it taste soooo good! No nasty after taste like some of the fat-free or low fat dressings have. The ceasar parmigiano flavor has 45 calories and 3 grams of fat for 2 tablespoons. I am looking forward to trying the other flavors as well. I found them in the refridgerated produce section at Walmart.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with the Newman's Own light dressings. Intense flavors and none of that funny aftertaste you get with some low-fat dressings. I'm a big fan of the Asian Sesame, but the variations on Italian aren't bad. I keep a bottle around since I eat tons of salad, but usually I just make my own with oil, vinegar or citrus juice and various spices. I use .5 TB on a good-sized side salad, 1 TB on a huge meal salad, so it's not a big deal.

Actually, of the Newman's Own dressings we've tried have been delish!! I generally make my own. Vinegars keep for ages on the shelf and are relatively cheap so have a variety of those at hand and add to a little olive oil with some herbs and voila!

An old weightwatcher's trick for eating a little dressing is to dip the fork into the dressing and then fill the fork with the salad. You'd be amazed how you will taste the dressing in every bite but eat very little dressing all told. This trick predates those salad dressing spray bottles and is free!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have had really good luck with the Walden Farms Calorie Free dressings (yes, 2 Tbl is 0 calories, just some sodium). They have a sugar free version too but I like the calorie free ones. Their Bleu Cheese, Creamy Bacon, and Honey Dijon are my personal favorites.
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Very healthy and completely natural ones can be homemade and it's probably cheaper ! Use lemon or lime juice for something really simple and maybe some seasonings (not salt or pepper).
    Blend avocado with some Lemon juice and maybe nutritional yeast. Or just use blended fruits for a sweet dressing if you're in the mood.
    Boil cauliflower until it's almost falling apart and mushy and blend it wish water and some spices and it's really creamy idk if that would be a good salad dressing but cauliflower doesn't have much taste so it's really versatile and you can add whatever you want. Even like the packet of ranch flavor and it'd be super low fat but I wouldn't do it cuz it's probably high in sodium but it's better than regular ranch!
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I love Bolthouse dressings! I buy mine at Walmart.
    My favourites are Salsa Ranch and Classic Ranch but Honey Mustard is definitely good, too.
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options

I love Bolthouse dressings! I buy mine at Walmart.
    My favourites are Salsa Ranch and Classic Ranch but Honey Mustard is definitely good, too.

All of the Bolthouse comments are point on. I have tried the yogurt ranch and parmesan flavors. Very good and easy to find!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I just use 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and toss well-yum!
    Sometimes I add a little chopped feta and pitted calamata olives for extra flavor.