"Healthy/Healthier" Fast Food Options?

Options
I was out with my boyfriend today and we were both starving. We decided to go to Taco Bell. I know that a 7 layer burrito isn't exactly healthy, but I was really hungry. Anyways, no excuses. Is there any healthier options I could grab when on the road? I'm not even sure how possible that really is. Anyways if there are any brainiacs who have done their research on Fast Food, let me know please! :)

Replies

• Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Taco cantina bell bowl! I eat the veggie but they have chicken too. Also, you can order any of their food fresco, so it will come without cheese and sour cream.
    Burger King makes a decent veggie burger and satisfries are better than none at all with way less fat and calories.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    According to their site, the 7 layer burrito only has approximately 430 calories.

Did it satiate you? If so, sounds like you made a perfectly fine choice for fast food. As long as your diet isn't mainly comprised of fast food, you should be just fine calorie wise.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think Subway has some really healthy choices, and lots of veggies:) I also like the salad delight (bbq chicken or turkey) at Bill Miller and the grilled chicken sandwich or salads at Whataburger. Chick Fil A has good grilled chicken salads, too.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

Burger King makes a decent veggie burger and satisfries are better than none at all with way less fat and calories.

The 7 Layer Burrito she ate was approximately 430 calories.
    A BK Veggie Burger with just a small Satisfries is approximately 660 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Now I want to try that burrito.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    We had Taco Bell today, too! I opted for one Chipotle Ranch Chicken Griller (@350 cals), because that's what I *really* WANTED. Then ate my homemade, plain chicken breast plus greek yogurt and Taco Bell sauce for an additional 200 cals when I got home. Not too shabby. Fit my macros fine (I needed that extra protein from my chicken breast).

I've also done two or three Fresco Crunchy Tacos (150 cals each). Not a bad option either, and I think the Fresco salsa tastes way better than the cruddy pinch of cheese on the standard ones.

Basically, I find just getting one yummy food item (instead of multiple or large size items) satisfies my fast food desires, and also keeps me happy with what my diary says. As long as the 7 layer burrito satisfied you, that's all that counts.
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    subway chopped salad is good and wendys chili and a half salad is a good choice too. KFC grilled chicken with a side of green beans.....check the internet, there is usually at least one decent choice at most of the places
  • EmilyTabawhat
    Options
    I LOVE the McDonald's SouthWest Salad with grilled chicken. Low in calories, chicken is great protein, and honestly, this salad is packed with flavor and fills me up! Skip the dressing -- it comes with a lime wedge to squeeze over top and the black corn salsa in the salad already gives you the dressing feel.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    According to their site, the 7 layer burrito only has approximately 430 calories.

Did it satiate you? If so, sounds like you made a perfectly fine choice for fast food. As long as your diet isn't mainly comprised of fast food, you should be just fine calorie wise.

This^^ The 7 layer burrito is one of my favorite options, but you could always ask them to remove the sour cream if you think. It doesn't have the fried potatoes, ground beef and other high fat extras.

Also, when I'm out, I'll look for "snack" options, aiming for under 300 calories. That means for McDonald's, the only good option is the grilled chicken snack wrap if you're looking for sandwiches. Just keep your eyes open, and always check before ordering!
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I generally like Subway, Extreme Pita, Pita Pit, Edo Japan, Tokyo Express.I like McDonald's McChicken too. I don't care for mayo so it's only 310 calories without it.
  • JynaeJ
    JynaeJ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I eat out we sorta plan ahead and look online at the calorie info. Usually the main chains have a nutritional menu with the calories. And we plan our meal from that. Like sharing fries or eat a smaller burger no cheese no mayo or get chicken instead. We really haven't found "healthier" fast food lol but finding the calories makes it manageable. Sometimes we get a pizza from little ceasars and make 2 meals out of it lol! Good thing about dieting is that you spend less on food!! Good luck on your journey!!
  • sandmama
    sandmama Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a little list of things I can grab quick when we are out and I forgot to bring a protein bar or the kids tell me they are starving! I just keep it in my wallet. Usually though I will opt for 2 crunchy taco's at Taco Bell for about 300 calories or a Fruit/Maple Oatmeal at McDonald's. Both will hold me over until the next meal time and I don't feel like I totally blew the whole day.

Fast food is so high in sodium, we have really cut back eating at those places unless it is completely unplanned.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options

I never eat mayo and no cheese either. Maybe half the fries. But thanks ms. Snarky! Lol
    And BTW she said healthier not less calories.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

I never eat mayo and no cheese either. Maybe half the fries. But thanks ms. Snarky! Lol
    And BTW she said healthier not less calories.

A. It's Mr.
    B. There was no snark. You brought that to the table with your response.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At Taco Bell the smaller burritos (bean, beef, chicken, and even the 7 layer) aren't that bad if you only have one, they're all 300 or 400 cals. Subway is generally a good restaurant for sandwiches, it has some good high protein options with lots of veggies. Milios also has a decent sized chicken sandwich that's only around 300 cals. For McDonalds I'd say just stick to the dollar menu or the grilled chicken options and avoid most of the McCafe/dessert stuff (aside from the coffee and iced coffee) and you'll be fine.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat my fair share of fast food. My favourite McDonalds combination is a sweet chilli McWrap with a side salad if I have the 600-ish calories to use. Taco Bell has tons of awesome options, too.

I basically just googled for fast food meals under 500 calories and realized that I can find something almost everywhere.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Next time you hit Taco Bell, get the Fresco chicken soft tacos. 150 calories a taco.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition