Some questions before starting "bulk period"...

Options
Hi, I've lost almost 22Lbs so far, dropped from 189 to 164Lbs. However, after six months, people tell me I need to start lifting, and I kind of agree with them. My arms are too skinny, and so are my legs, and even more noticeable because I'm 6"2' tall. I understand that what I need to do know is called "bulking", am I right?

However, please bear with me since I've got a few questions before I start, so that I don't screw up and gain back all of the fat I've lost.

1. What's the difference between calorie surplus + lifting, and just plain eating like a pig? What's gonna keep me from getting plain fat again?

2. How important is the amount of weights I lift? Should I try to steadily increase them each month/week?

3. Say I need 2700 cals for maintenance. Would a 10% surplus (2700+270=2970) be enough, at least to get things started?

4. How important is fat in foods? Should I eat only low fat foods?

Please help, and thanks!

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    1. Lifting during a calorie surplus causes your excess calories to go towards muscle growth instead of fat storage. Make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet. Your body can synthesize some amino acids from other sources, but other amino acids must be consumed in the diet.

2. The amount of weight you lift is critical. You should be on a beginner strength program, like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. At first, you should be increasing weights every workout.

3. I think a 10% surplus is probably OK, but someone as skinny as you could probably eat a lot, lot more. Skinny young men respond well to strength training, and you can probably handle a big calorie surplus and get away with it. If you have trouble stalling on your lifts, consider increasing your food intake.

4. In my opinion, dietary fat isn't something to spend a lot of time worrying about. Focus on protein and over-all calories, and you'll have a better diet than 99% of the people out there. If you get more advanced, you can manage your macros more precisely, but during the early stages of a novice strength program, it's not a big deal. A lot of people need to invest in a protein supplement to get all the protein they need.