Home rowing machine recommendations?

Options
I've been rowing lately at the gym and love it! Does anyone have a at home rower that I should look at? I want one that will work everything especially the legs. Some I viewed customers mentioned a stamina model that doesn't work the legs which I do not want. But would like one that is portable. Would love a concept 2 but I'm still a beginner and don't want to invest over $900.00 quire yet. Saw the preform 440R so far. Thanks.

Replies

• samantha_elise1
    Options
    I would highly recommend going with a Concept 2...I know you said they're expensive, true, but they are by far the best rowing machine out there. Many of the cheaper models and brands don't support proper rowing form and tend to lead to injury. So, I would keep going to the gym for now, use the rowing machine there, and save up for your own Concept 2. Also, make sure your technique looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8.

Sorry I wasn't more useful in recommending more affordable machines, but after having rowed myself for 12 years and coaching for the past 7, there's really no other way to go in my opinion.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Concept or a WaterRower are the best bet.

Avoid anything with hydraulic arms, springs or bungee cords as they don't have the right response profile.

With this it really is worth spending the money on one of those.
  • samantha_elise1
    Options
    Agreed, although in the case of WaterRower vs Concept 2, Concept2 is definitely the more affordable option.
  • cherryblossomrose
    Options
    I'd agree - Concept 2 is the best. Bought ours 15+ years ago and it is still going strong. Just got back into it and I love it. Works cardio and muscles. Fantastic bit of kit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Costco.com has a water rower for around $700 usually. I bought one but sold it to a friend because I sit down all day, I found I didn't want to sit and do cardio. It was a nice rower, though, and a good workout.
  • IcyOtter
    IcyOtter Posts: 2
    Options
    Concept2, most definitely. You can spend less money on something cheaper, but you won't get anything near what you get with the Concept2. If you buy a crappy rower, you'll hate it and won't continue. Either that, or you'll hate your machine and wind up looking for a better one anyway. Sorry if that's not much help, but the Concept2 really is the best one out there.