Life post VGS

Options
Well, I am not great at introductions, but I will try. I'm 34, 5'9" , and mother of 2 girls, 13 and 5. I had my Vertical Gastric Sleeve on April 1 this year and weighed 220 on date of surgery. As of today, Im 166 and goal weight is 140. I joined MyFitnessPal to better track my nutrition due to losing weight WAY FAST! I still have a difficult time reaching my daily goals ... I have a 1200 calorie goal and my main issue is PROTEIN.I need to build more muscle for my long-term goal of running a half-marathon!!. I want to get at least 75G a day, but its been IMPOSSIBLE! I have yet to find a protein supplement I can tolerate OR like. I recently ordered IsoPure Zero in Creamy Vanilla.. fingers crossed, I hope I like it!! I am really active and I run 3-5 Miles on most days. As of today, Im in the negative for my calories after mowing the lawn. It isnt bc I dont try to eat, I can only eat around 1/4-1/2 c. per meal. I am hoping to meet people with similar circumstances or get recommendations for the most nutritional-bang-for-my-buck **low to no carb, vitamin rich, protein packed yumminess is my dream find!**

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With 26 lbs. to go (congratulations!), set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories—and be patient.

It will be much easier to get enough protein, and the smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You can get almost as much protein from fat free plain Greek yogurt. It has 23 grams per 130 calories. My Swanson's whey protein has 20 grams per 90 calories.
    I love both, especially mixed in smoothies. Unsweetened Almond milk is a good choice because it is so low calories for "milk" and quite good tasting. High in calcium,too.
    Another thing I love is PB2. Try a cocoa, pb2 and yogurt/and or protein powder " milkshake" with ice used for thickening. A banana or other fruit could be added for sweetener, or use stevia/Splenda.
    I'm actually surprised you qualified for surgery at your height and weight! Congrats on the progress and the running goals!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are 30g protein and 160 calories and they actually taste good. Costco and Sams club have them. Not sure where else. I have had surgery as well 12 years ago and still have protein issues.
    Good luck

Cindy
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I found using Garden of Life Raw Meal or Raw Protein helps me to get reaching my protein intake goal more. Its a planet base powder and taste good mixed with Almond milk.
    Raw Meal 34G protein packed with vitamins and minerals
    Raw Protein 17G protein along with being low carb