Motivation for morning run

Options
I'm an early bird but alway's manage to make an excuse not to run. Any tip's to get motivated to go for a run?

Replies

• transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation. I always end up procrastinating and making excuses not to go. I especially try to get myself to go before breakfast, just so I don't experience the discomfort of exercising on a full stomach. But by the time I have finished procrastinating, I'm too hungry to run and then just end up eating...

I find what really helps me is to do it FIRST thing in the morning. By this I mean the moment you wake up. Get up, go to the bathroom, change into your workout clothes and then out the door. This way I'm already in the roll of waking up; I might as well then add the extra action of exercise.

Also, I find looking forward to having breakfast helps. I won't allow myself to have my nice breakfast until I have gone for my run. After that, I treat myself with coffee and a yummy meal.

This has worked for me in the past, but once in a while I do get in a rut and end up sitting at my computer with coffee in my hands before I have even thought about working out. But, either way, hope this helps for some days :)
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I find what really helps me is to do it FIRST thing in the morning. By this I mean the moment you wake up. Get up, go to the bathroom, change into your workout clothes and then out the door. This way I'm already in the roll of waking up; I might as well then add the extra action of exercise.

I agree on the first thing in the morning thing. I also routinely lie to myself saying, "I'll just go out for a ten minute walk and then if I don't feel like it, I'll come home." I have never come home after ten minutes and rarely continue walking. It's just getting out the door that is the issue.

I've run on a full gut and it wasn't pretty so now I know I'm much happier if I run early. It also allows me to feel smug about myself for the rest of the day, having run in the morning.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Run later in the day? I generally work out during lunch time or after work. I go through short periods where I can work out or run in the mornings but they don't last. I like my coffee and news too much
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Decide that you're the kind of person who don't have any daylight between what you say you will do and what you actually do. Just follow through, because that's the type of person you are (we are what we repeatedly do). Works for me, and I think it makes me a better person in the process :Smile:

Good luck! I generally work out twice, once early in the morning and once in the early evening. Used to be 5am runs, but due to a change in schedules I know have ashtanga yoga in the mornings (Still stupidly early) and run in the evenings.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Leave your running gear ready beside the bed. Get into it and out the door before your head has a chance to wake up and say "You're doing what now?"
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    For me, it was habit born out of necessity. When I started, it was winter/early spring, and I'd just changed my working hours, and with the dark evenings (I don't like to run in the dark) I wasn't able to run after work most days. So, I had to run in the morning, or not at all. That was enough motivation the first few times I guess. I started getting up earlier, being more organised with meal prep etc the night before, and just going for it.

Now, it's just an ingrained habit. To be honest, it never really occurs to me to go later now. Even on weekends, I tend to get up early and run. I like the feeling of having that ticked off my list for the day before I go about the rest of my business. I think the feel-good boost of endorphins stays with me through the day then too (or at least I tell myself it does!)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It always seems like a great idea the night before.

Then the next morning I always feel that sleep is more important.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Put the alarm clock on top of your running kit at the other side of the room so that you have to get out of bed to switch it off. Then oh look, here's your running kit all ready to go...might as well get out then! :smile: