Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Situations where you made desperate food choices

yungibear
yungibear Posts: 138 Member
Hi everyone! I was just reflecting on my weight-loss journey and I remembered a very silly situation I was in.

First, some background about myself: I was a 4th-year university student when this happened. I was about to quit my job in 2 months and I was living as frugally as I could. I worked during the day and went straight to school at night. If you can understand this lifestyle, it was very hard to plan meals and food for the entire day. I felt kind of like a backpacker because I would have a full bag of food to keep my body properly fueled throughout the whole day.

One day, I ate through all my food a little faster than normal and I got hungry while I was at school. I knew I wouldn't make it through my lecture so I was desperate to find some food. Unfortunately, I didn't really have that much money, so I could only afford a $2.00-or-under snack. On top of that, I didn't have too many calories to play with, since I worked through all my food earlier in the day. The student union's idea of "cheap" substantial, low-calorie food were $8.00 salads, so that was out of the question.

I ended up walking 3 blocks to the nearest grocery market, finding a sale on strawberries, washed them at a drinking fountain across the hallway from my classroom, and noshing on strawberries straight out of the box in the middle of class. I didn't really care what others thought about me, but it must've been a funny sight, because my desk was all soggy from the water dripping from the box (which was full of those ventilation holes).

Anyway, does anyone else have a silly story to share about their food choices?

Replies

• Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    I was on the Greyhound bus on my way to my sister's. (It's a 6 hour trip.) I normally don't take food with me because I know we stop at a shop at lunch time. I was particularly hungry on this day, and had already fantasized about the sandwhich and salad I was going to get. Only this time, they stopped at a different shop! No sandwiches, no salads, no fruits.....what did they have? Chips, candy, coffee, donuts, water and soda. I ended up buying a 67oz water and downing the whole thing lol. Good thing they had a bathroom aboard the bus. :bigsmile:
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    I try not to eat between meals and it's great but sometimes the cravings hit... one afternoon, hit with a mad cheddar craving but determined to only drink between meals, I tried to invent the Hot Cheese.

Mission was impossible, sadly.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    :laugh:

Oh goodness, I can definitely relate to the liquid substitutions! I've never heard of anyone trying to make a liquid cheese drink before, though!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I talked to a Vietnam POW when I was in college. He told me that they would shift through their excrement to get little bits of undigested rice.

Perspective.

Barely related note: He was also not a fan of Jane Fonda.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    I like that you went and got strawberries!

I've had this happen at work and since I have a pretty limited diet, there is nothing I can eat here if I didn't pack it (except the lays potato chips, but I'm not a fan). So, I just sit there and embrace the hangryness. I fantasize about the food I could be eating for an hour or so, and then convince myself that I need to wait until I get home (while pouting silently to myself). It usually does pass...takes about 3 hours...