280 net calories to low?

Options
I have been dieting for a while now. Doing pretty good and have 13lbs to go. So, my recommended calorie intake is 1200, is this after the calories I've burned is deducted? Also, I usually eat about 700 calories a day, I burn 400-500, so my met is sometimes under 200 calories. Is this really bad? I do have my cheat days where I eat about 1400 once or twice a week. I'm satisfied with my 700 cal days. I'm not starving myself just eating lost of fruit, veggies, and grilled chicken. I've been reading that eating too low cal will result in slow metabolism and I'll stop losing weight. It's so hard!

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    700 calories=no

700 calories is my breakfast,
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    My toddler eats more than that
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Not starving self.

Eats 700 calories a day.

Well.

Okay.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You cannot be serious.

Yes, it really is "that bad".
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Sick of these stupid posts.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor

In all seriousness, this is very good advice. There may be something more going on that your doctor needs to check.
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The lack of calories ALWAYS catches up with you hun. :( The best thing you can do is eat believe it or not.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor

In all seriousness, this is very good advice. There may be something more going on that your doctor needs to check.

Agree with both of these...

Not saying you have one, but they can tell you what's too low...
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to NET the 1200. Which means your calories should not be under 1200 at the end of the day. Otherwise what you are doing is unhealthy and flat out dangerous. So stop it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Not only will undereating result in a slower metabolic rate, but lean muscle tissue can be compromised and thereby even lower your metabolic rate even more.

Unless you're obese, there's no legitimate reason to eat a VLCD for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 280 net cals is too low. :noway:

The goal of 1200 already has you at a deficit. You could eat all 1200 every day, do zero exercise and you'll lose weight. Burning off more cals through exercise and then not replacing them is leaving you with a monstrous deficit, which others have already pointed out, is a very bad idea.

Food is fuel and you're not getting nearly enough.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Yes! Waaaaaaaaaaay to low. NET 1400 - 2000. Depending on how active you are. You'll feel better.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 700 cals in snacks most days.

I don't know how some people manage to eat so little. Like holy *kitten*. I wish I could get by with eating less, but noooooope, my tummy is hungry.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?! You joined this site 2 years ago and you're asking a question about 280 net calories being too low?! Have you
    read the forums here (they're all about weight loss and how to go about it).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you seriously have to ask this, it is time to log off and look for a dr.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    1. Created troll account.
    2. Wait patiently for 3.5 years.
    3. Unleashed potentially mediocre weapons of troll warfare.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting for a while now. Doing pretty good and have 13lbs to go. So, my recommended calorie intake is 1200, is this after the calories I've burned is deducted? Also, I usually eat about 700 calories a day, I burn 400-500, so my met is sometimes under 200 calories. Is this really bad? I do have my cheat days where I eat about 1400 once or twice a week. I'm satisfied with my 700 cal days. I'm not starving myself just eating lost of fruit, veggies, and grilled chicken. I've been reading that eating too low cal will result in slow metabolism and I'll stop losing weight. It's so hard!

You must enjoy doing this so much you want to be doing it again and again year after year for the rest of your life.

And, get ready, it'll get even more fun in the future, as you'll gain the fat back faster, and it'll get harder to get it off next time.

That should give a good challenge through life. And you'll have a great relationship with food and your body during this time - well, if hate is a relationship.

And, actually you made it 1200 by your selections, but it really sounds like that doesn't matter as you seem to know better and eat much less anyway.

Here's what you'll do BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313
This discussion has been closed.