Support? What support? Where?

Options
13»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, let me guess...you added those ~80 friends in a "everyone please add me" thread and not by specifically sending FRs to those with whom you thought you might have something in common or whose posts you enjoyed, right?
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't be able to keep up with supporting 80 friends myself. Would that not entail sitting and spending ages responding to everyone. Since I've been infrequent on this before for a long time, the friends I added before, justifiably don't bother messaging me any more or deleted me and I'm technically not "new" to go in the Introduce Yourself section xD So currently I have no supporters, but I've still lost some weight ^.^
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    1. Quality over quantity all day every day. I try to keep my friends list under 30 with QUALITY people, that I care to communicate with

2. Why is it crazy for people to want to be friends with others that have like goals? Yes, I have friends on my list just because they're funny and awesome, but most of my friends have similar goals to mine, or at least are very serious. I tend to consider friend requests carefully before sending OR accepting.

3. "MFP is for Meanies" isn't a mantra that ends well in these forums. I get what you're saying, but just look around for like-minded people, don't blast the people that have removed you from their friends list publicly.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    OP, let me guess...you added those ~80 friends in a "everyone please add me" thread and not by specifically sending FRs to those with whom you thought you might have something in common or whose posts you enjoyed, right?

that.

Add people with whom you have something in common MFP-wise. Preferably more than just age. I recently had someone add me cause we're a similar age. Within days, I determined she eats well below her calorie goal every single day- sometimes half her goal (and her goal is not high). I dropped her from my friends list cause I have no desire to practically starve myself much less watch other people do so. At the end of the day, I'm on MFP because I love food :laugh:
  • smcrae3794
    Options
    I don't think you actually get support from this site, or need it, unless you count people saying " Wow, way to go, awesome burn" every time you post a 10 minute workout. For me, I find that doesn't offer any tangible result except that it gets annoying. Find your own support and motivation in YOU, that's the only thing that will actually work.

Support doesn't need to be active. I wish I had more friends here. I have 2 at the moment, and both of them are inactive now. They say weight loss is more successful if you have 5 or more friends. I think this is because everybody has good days and bad days, and the chances of 6 people having bad days at the same time are small. If you're on your own, bad days can spiral out of control, but if you see that 3 of your friends are having good days, you can push yourself to have a better day. When your friends have a bad day, your success can be encouraging to them. All it takes is people logging everyday. You can see their success and they can see yours, and that's a good spiral to get in on.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't think you actually get support from this site, or need it, unless you count people saying " Wow, way to go, awesome burn" every time you post a 10 minute workout. For me, I find that doesn't offer any tangible result except that it gets annoying. Find your own support and motivation in YOU, that's the only thing that will actually work.

Support doesn't need to be active. I wish I had more friends here. I have 2 at the moment, and both of them are inactive now. They say weight loss is more successful if you have 5 or more friends. I think this is because everybody has good days and bad days, and the chances of 6 people having bad days at the same time are small. If you're on your own, bad days can spiral out of control, but if you see that 3 of your friends are having good days, you can push yourself to have a better day. When your friends have a bad day, your success can be encouraging to them. All it takes is people logging everyday. You can see their success and they can see yours, and that's a good spiral to get in on.

That assumes you have the time and inclination ( I have neither) to check on what your friends are doing.